Reload this Page >

Recommendations for December in Europe that are not so cold

Old May 11th, 2022, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Friends,

We are a couple with a 2 year old daughter, from India. We are planning to do a holiday between 23rd December to 2nd January to Europe...Since our daughter is 2 years old and this will be her first trip to Europe, we were looking at lesser colder areas.
(Me and wife have travelled earlier to Belgium, Switzerland, Paris, Budapest, Latvia, Estonia, Vienna, Salzburg, Czekh republic)
Request your help please to suggest any destinations that are not so cold (as we are not able to zero down on any)....
Will be grateful....

Thanks a ton....
Old May 11th, 2022, 05:08 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at southern Spain, Andalusia region. We have been there in November and it was nice weather.
Old May 11th, 2022, 05:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Canaries is where most Europeans go to keep warm, you might get lucky in southern Portugal or Spain along the coast but they will not be great and possibly you could try Sicily but I wouldn't as it can be very stormy in winter.

https://www.holiday-weather.com/algarve/averages/

Old May 11th, 2022, 07:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
It would be useful if you could tell us what “not so cold” means to you. I found Malta very comfortable when I was there in mid- December, cool enough for a light jacket but pleasant. After Malta we went to Rome over Christmas which was also surprisingly nice weather. However, winter is probably the most variable season in most locales so nothing is certain.
Old May 11th, 2022, 08:18 AM

Nice is a amazingly vibrant place and has had very mild winters this past 3 years.
Old May 11th, 2022, 11:19 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
And we were so cold in Rome over New Years in 2020.
Old May 11th, 2022, 12:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Nothing is certain weather-wise. Could be nice in Rome or could have snow. Some will say because of climate change winters are warmer . . . but 'climate' is not 'weather' and even with recent years of generally warmer average temperatures, there have been huge winter storms, record cold snaps and heavy snow where it is not typical. So if you really want warm weather I'd consider something in the southern Hemisphere where it will be summer. Or maybe someplace like the Canary Islands or Morocco.

Otherwise I'd plan a city-centric trip in Europe where one can do lots of indoors things when the weather turns nasty. For instance -- I love London in the winter but plan almost exclusively indoor sites/events/activities and take it as a bonus if the weather is nice and I can be outdoors. That being said my last two December London trips (2019 and 2021) I did REALLY luck out with the weather.
Old May 11th, 2022, 02:15 PM

I think Madeira might suit you. Take a look at the past Winters.

https://www.madeira-web.com/en/weather.html

Helena
Old May 11th, 2022, 02:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
So many choices in the uncertain category, very few exempt. I thought I’d freeze to death one March in Marrakech. Be sure where you go has heated accommodations, just in case. Many (most?) in Morocco don’t.

Old May 13th, 2022, 02:08 AM

I was in Cyprus this past January, I was surprised at how pleasant and warm it was, some rain but mainly it was gorgeous. Make sure your accommodation has central heating as private homes or apartments are notoriously cold in winter even if it is not cold outside. There will be snow in the mountains but by the coast it should be warm & sunny, although it is winter so no guarantees. The real winter in Cyprus is in Feb/March. As it will be Christmas and NY, make sure your accommodation (I would recommend a hotel, 4 or 5 star preferably with an indoor heated swimming pool for inclement days) has a restaurant or two in case you do not want to go out for dinner/weather is not good/restaurants are closed.

I expect Cyprus would be much the same as Malta or other Med islands at this time of the year.
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:28 PM

What with climate change, a lot of places aren't that cold to me anymore even in winter. I would say none are all that cold except maybe far north in Nordic countries, etc.

This is obvious from geography, it is warmer farther south, of course.
Old May 13th, 2022, 02:15 PM

You can search Antalya from Turkey. It is one of the most touristic cities in the Mediterranean and has mild weather in December. In addition, 1 dollar is currently equivalent to 15 Turkish Liras so it can be a very cheap holiday option.
Old May 16th, 2022, 04:59 AM

I was in South Tenerife for Christmas and it was lovely, warm enough for shorts and jumper in evening but able to have a swim in pool during day without the worry of burning. We stayed at Hard Rock Hotel and for family we couldnt recommend it enough. I guess it depends what you are really after for a break in Europe - if you want sunshine without the burn, relaxing time and decent food I would go for this. If you are looking for culture... then probably not.
Old May 21st, 2022, 09:13 AM

My vote is for souther Spain or Italy, but still, you never know. You can have rainy and stormy days with considerable chill at certain times. But you can always plan indoor activities around that time.
Old May 21st, 2022, 09:43 AM

It really depends on interests . But many of the "warmer" destinations will tend to not have great heating. Buildings are often designed to stay cool in the summer more than warm in the winter. If you don't mind bundling up you might actually find it better in one of the colder destinations.

I know it might be hard for you to find cold weather clothing but kids have been enjoying winters forever.

Personally normal winter in Rome isn't cold but you can always have a freak cold snap. Even if it's only 10C during the day you'll still need to warm clothing. 10C is a pretty cold daytime high in Rome.
Old May 24th, 2022, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Dear All,

Thank you so so much for all the help and recommendations...definately helpful for us...after much thought, we thinking of zeroing down on Portugal...
but all suggestions will be helpful for our future trips and planning ...thank you so much once again...