Paris- how cold is cold?

Search

Paris- how cold is cold?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris- how cold is cold?

Everyone is posting that Paris is too cold and windy. We kleave in one month from Hawaii. This may sound like a crazy question but understand we have been in Hawaii for 15 years and have no winter wardrobe. What do you wear in 50 - 60 F weather? Is that a light sweater or are we talking heavy jacket? How do I dress the kids?

thanks
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:09 AM
lyb

My sister lives in Hawaii and I've spent quite a bit of time there myself, so I understand what you mean about not knowing for sure what to wear in 50 - 60 degrees and not having the appropriate clothes.

I think you should wear layers, a long sleeve cotton top and a thicker sweater to put on. Of course, having lived in Hawaii, you might really be cold if it's 50 - 60 degrees and you might need a coat. Unfortunately, I know it won't be easy for you to buy anything like that if you don't already have it because even the stores on the mainland are starting to have all the summer stuff, at least in California. So you may want to bring your warmest clothes and wait and see if Paris has warmed up when you get there and buy something for the weather when you get there.

Also, in the morning it 50 - 60 degrees feels colder so be prepared. Hopefully, you'll be so busy walking around that it will warm you up.

Good luck!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 03:31 AM
tod

I sympathise with your concerns as a thin blooded person from the continent of Africa.
Some years back now, we stayed in Paris for an extended Easter Weekend. The "wind chill factor" was what bothered us the most. Standing or sitting on a bench in glorious sun was fine provided the wind didn't blow!
We each took long & short sleeved T-Shirts & jeans and a thick padded jacket. Socks & trainers were fine. When we felt hot we peeled down to short sleeves and tied the jacket around the waist by the sleeves.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Realistically - Paris is mild/temperate - it does not get really cold - like NYC, Boston or the northern US. The climate is more like that of Virginia. Unless you have no blood left at all you don;t need a heavy coat except in mid winter - when it gets down to/below 40 - above that a combination of shirts, a couple of sweaters and a light jacket should be fine (for layering - not all at once).
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:36 AM

There has been a lot of comment of the cold/windy weather in the past few weeks. But it was an unusually cold winter in Europe..or so several French , English and Belgian friends have told me. We are from FL and made do with lined raincoats, with layered sweaters and tees..
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:56 AM

..no need for a winter coat..just layer- bring a windbreaker or "slicker" which can double as both a rain jacket and an outer layer (a trench coat would do too), then a sweater(s) or sweat shirt, a cotton turtle neck, and t shirts or other tops (make sure some short and others lonsleeved...you will do just fine..weather can be gorgeous or not and this should cover you for everything!..oh and buy a scarf in Paris!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:53 AM

FYI, the temperature in April can be anywhere between 35-65 degrees F. Sometimes within the same day, hence the advice for layering. Bring along a light waterproof jacket, a sweater, and (of course) a beautiful scarf and you'll be set. Don't leave your hotel without a compact umbrulla either - even if it looks sunny and gorgeous.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:26 AM

I'd have to agree that a scarf is very important. I take a lightweight casmere one. I take a London Fog rain coat which has a zip out lining. in my purse I carry a small umbrella, ggloves and a knit hat. We always go to Paris in the wintertime and we are from So. Ca. We were there this past October and had 70 degree weather all week so you just never know.
I find that as long as my ears neck and hands aren't cold I'm ok. We do so much walking I can't think of a time when my feet were cold.

The problem I have with layering is what to do with the clothes you are removing. Take them back to the hotel? Carry them around?

Also, even though it might warm up during the day it gets really cool after the sun goes down so then you need all those clothes back on again.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 01:21 PM

Suzanne, the layering bit and then removing jacket, sweater whatever while out for the day is something that I have never figured out. Even in SF. I go over usually on the ferry in the a.m. So need something to keep me warm. A few hours later it warms up (usually) and so there one is, dragging outer clothes around along with a purse. What a drag!

Islandmom, if you do not have any clothes (jackets/trench coat whatever) for sale on the island right now (and you probably don't) have you checked any website to see if you can buy any outer clothing. The might even be on sale now. Just a thought.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM

I think you may be overly concerned. By the time you are there it will be well into April. I doubt if - except at nigh - you willneed more than a light rincoat or jacket. (Here it it's 60 during the day most people wear just a shirt - or light cotton sweater - no jacket at all.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:26 PM

In my experience, 60 degrees during the day can easily become 40 or 45 degrees at night. Rain will also be likely at some point,making the temperature feel colder.

Invest in a rain jacket or rain coat (you can order on line from magellan's or travelsmith,orLL Bean,or department stores like Nordstrom's) or go to a local army-navy store and buy a rain slicker.
Whatever you buy, buy it roomy enough to be able to wear a sweater underneath. Your feel will get wet if it rains, so bring more than one pair of shoes,and extra socks.

Before you go, check the forecast on several websites because they will differ a bit from each other. I like accuweather.com(provides a long-range forecast), paris.org,and the bbc
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Hi elaine, I agree. And if one is not use to freezing weather (as those in Hawaii are not) what someone on the east coast of the US would not consider cold could be a very cold situation for someone from an area like Hawaii.