Search

Recommendations for Bus Tours of Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:48 AM
LJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for Bus Tours of Italy

An older couple, rather inexperienced travellers, are coming from our home town to visit us while we are working in Italy for a year. They are uncertain whether they can busy themselves just visiting our little community in the Abruzzo but don't feel very confident on trains or buses on their own and won't be renting a car.

To be frank, I am not sure what to do with them for two full weeks here while also working full time.

I thought perhaps a good bus tour, but having never done one, don't know where to start. And, YES, I have searched here but the remarks are a little scathing. I plowed through about 6 threads the general tone of which was "I would never even dream of taking this sort of trip myself...".

Well, no, neither would I, YET. But recognizing that my day may come and our friends is already here, anybody have any useful tips?
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:55 AM
cmt

An elderly friend of mine has been very happy with Grand Circle bus tours in various parts of Italy and elsewhere.

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:03 AM

I used Brendan once for a tour of Italy and was very pleased. There were people of all ages on the tour so your friends would be comfortable.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:25 AM
Degas

LJ, how nice for you to be living the "good life" in Italy. Make the most of it in 2004.

I also heard that Grand Circle tours were pretty good, but lack any first hand experience with them.

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:12 AM

Yes, several years ago we were on the popular Grand Circle tour with one week in Sorrento and a second in Montecatini (near Florence) plus several days in Rome. Day trips are included or offered as optionals.

Being senior travelers ourselves we've had three such GCT jaunts, besides Italy to Greece and Scandinavia, and would recommend them as a more leisurely way to travel.

Many do go on their own, and sometimes we've done this, but with GCT or
Elderhostel you have expert guides a little beyond traditional tours and don't worry about the hassles in travel arrangements. The downside is being with a large group on a bus but that does mean congenial new friends.

Glad to correspond on details...
Bill at [email protected]
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:45 AM

What is your budget? That makes a huge difference.