Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a classical concert in prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2011, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter needs to attend a classical concert for her music class - Any advice on where would be the best place to go for a classical concert?

I think that we are going to find a hotel in old town near the Charles bridge - I have heard that most sites are walkable from there.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM

It really depends how serious you are about the music and what you want to hear. If you don't care that much about the repertoire or performers, they give tourist concerts in ST Nicholas church on Old Town Square, there are lots of folks there handing out flyers to get you to go. They are lightweight in repertoire to appeal to those who don't want anything that long or serious (eg, Vivaldi, Mozart's A Little Night Music is a usual suspect, etc.).

There are some very good, reasonably priced concerts in the national museum at times and in the Klementinum which is right off the bridge on the Old Town side, there should be posters around the site telling you what is on and when. I recommend that as the best choice if you want something a little better than the tourist concerts. The Klementium is also a beautiful room (the mirror chapel) that you might not get a chance to see otherwise (seats are nothing special, folding seats, as I recall). The national museum sometimes you have to sit on the stairs, but they have very good performers at times.

This is the link for the Klementinum, they are closed until April/May for concerts
http://www.klementinum.com/index.php?lang=2

There are also some concerts in the St Nicholas church over in Mala Strana, and those would be worth checking out. Should have flyers on the doors or walls about them over there.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:27 AM

An easily accessible concert venue is at the oddly-naned (for us, at any rate) Municipal House, which is a major, Art Nouveau building in the Old Town--you can't miss it. It has either five restaurants and three performance venues or three restaurants and five performance venues--I've forgotten. We saw a performance of Dvorak's New World Symphony and Smetana's Ma Vlast at the Municipal Building, and these concerts, generally seeming to alternate with Mozart, are held at least once daily. Since Dvorak and Smetana were home town guys and Mozart premiered Don Giovanni in Prague, these concerts have that especially interesting local connection. The Old Town's Municipal House is easily walkable from the Charles Bridge.

Here's a link to the Municipal House: http://www.obecnidum.cz/web/en/homepage

If your family is so inclined, I also highly recommend one of the organized tours of the Jewish Quarter. It's both an educational and a very moving experience.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:38 AM

A location near the Charles Bridge or on Kampa Island (directly under the bridge)is ideal and yes, it is an easy walk to most everything from there. The very recent thread Prague neighborhoods - which to stay in speaks to some the things you ask about - at this moment it is about 5 posts below yours.

As far as concerts are concerned, The Rudolfinum is Prague's main concert hall and home to the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, so certainly check there. Also as others have noted, there will not be any lack of folks handing out flyers, mostly on the Old Town side of the Charles Bridge, for various concerts in various venues. These mostly are lighter music as described but the musicians are good and they are enjoyable.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
www.inyourpocket.com You may find information you are looking for on this site. The info can be downloaded. Richard
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Why are there no concerts listed at the Municipal House website - Anyone know?
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure if you will be paying too much. We have always been able to buy tickets a few days in advance. http://www.pragueexperience.com/oper...cert_halls.asp
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 08:32 AM

GEMom,

There are concerts at least every other day and often every day at the Municipal House so advance schedules are essentially irrelevant, e.g., we could have attended another Dvorak/Smetana concert two days after the one we did and two days after that. Dvorak is extremely popular and the New World Symphony is well known to Americans (actually, this symphony [Number 9, formally "Symphony from the New World"] was composed by Dvorak during his visit to the US in the late 1890s, but many of its memorable tunes, including the "semi-spiritual" "Goin Home" are probably mostly drawn from Czech folk melodies. In any event, it's a lovely symphonic piece which is especially nice to hear in the country of its composer.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM

The best classical concerts are usually in the Rudolfinum performed by the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.

http://www.ceskafilharmonie.cz/en/index.php
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:56 AM

http://www.ticketsbti.cz/WBS/ang/
if you look at this website you can see what is on when and buy tickets online.Most places for concerts have been mentioned except St Georges Crypt up by the castle,they often have early evening concerts on,but be aware the hall is unheated and it can get very very cold.
Every time I pass the Municiple House there are usually people trying to sell tickets to the various concerts.I have been to a couple there over the years and they have been pretty good,the place is just stunning,worth doing a tour during the day if you can manage it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:09 AM

I would also recommend the Obecní dům (Municipal House) to see a concert, after attending the summer proms concerts there in 2009. It's a beautiful setting, and very easily reached. Of course it depends on your classical taste and what's on at the time.