Recommendation re: 2 Days in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, actually we will be there for a week. However, we've allowed for 2 full days in Paris sightseeing. On day 1, we want to start with the Eiffel Tower and then walk to our next destination. For the most part, we will be walking unless the distance is too far, which we'll then take Uber or Metro. I've also allowed a day for the Louvre (after sleeping in) and a day for Versailles. So, does anyone have a recommended 2 days walking tour? How about sights/places/experiences to see in 2 days? Greatly appreciate any information or feedback you provide. Again, I'd like to start our exploration at the Eiffel Tower. Best ~
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 06:11 PM

There is so much to see in Paris. I can't believe you only have decided upon the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. You really need to pick up a book on Paris and dig in. See what interests you: there are many museums, parks and gardens, wonderful cafes and restaurants, in addition to numerous tourist attractions. During our week in Paris we found it helpful to break up the city into sections and spend an entire day exploring each section. Do some reading and then come back here to fine tune your itinerary.
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 09:58 PM

Can be of better service if you share your interests. Museums? Food? History? Architecture? Scenery? Shopping? something else?
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 01:59 AM

LOL, there's a reason Man created the guidebook.

You know, you ARE on a Fodor's website, the company that publishes such books with 1-day, 2-day, etc walking plans. Online pre-planned itineraries also abound. I just Googled "2-Day Paris Itinerary" and came up with almost endless possibilities. Suggest you buy a guidebook or two, download a few itineraries, pull out a map and a notebook, and edit away until you have a sketch of what YOU want to do.

Then we can certainly help you tweak it.

Happy planning,
AZ
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 11:26 AM

Really, you are going to Paris and have no idea what to do? With hundreds of guidebooks and internet sites to help you figure it out?

We have no idea what interests you, except Day 1 you want to start at the Eiffel Tower and then walk somewhere. Is Day 1 the day of your arrival? That might be a bad idea, or not, depending on whether you'll be jetlagged. Do you have tickets to ascend? We have no idea if "the distance is too far" without knowing where you're staying. What time of year are you traveling? What if it's pouring rain/sleeting? You can't just hail a taxi or an Uber on the street - you'll need to get a handle on that.

Who is "we"? How many people? What ages?

A whole day for the Louvre? You must be art historians. I'm a museum freak, but I can't take more than 2-3 hours there, not saying you can't.

You gotta do your homework if you want to get a decent grade in Travel 101.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

I don't understand the assumptions people make in their responses. I take into consideration there is both a language and cultural difference. But, some people in posting their responses are absolutely rude and arrogant. While I respect that you are attempting to assist with my inquiry, the approach is quite condescending. We are all each other's brothers and sisters. Let's not lose sight of the need for compassion, love, and understanding.

As for that person's assumption that I must be new at traveling, that's a negative. I'm 66 years of age and have been traveling since my early 20's. I've been to Paris at least 3 times. The inquiry was to see if there is something new or different. Also, I'm taking my 2 nieces with me, and would love to give them an opportunity to explore as much as Paris as possible.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The key to exploring is the bus. Get a map book and whatever metro pass that seems appropriate. It covers buses also. But on a bus you see where you are and how you are getting to the next place, unlike the Metro, which is faster but to my mind disorienting. If your nieces are new to Paris, be ready to jump off the bus when they see something they like. And, for a real overview, go to the top of the Tour Montparnasse in the evening when the monuments are illuminated. You can't see the Eiffel Tower from the Eiffel Tower, after all. For absolutely the most unusual way to overview Paris, go to the tethered balloon in the park Andre Citroen: https://www.ballondeparis.com/en/ (does not work on windy days). And don't let the crotchety ancients here get under your skin.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 08:22 PM

Sturion, how old are your nieces? We took our nieces, then 18 and 21, to Paris 6 years ago. The things they loved the most were the boat ride at sunset with Vedettes du Pont Neuf, the night time Segway tour with Fat Tire and our evening pizza picnic on the grass at the Eiffel Tower. You can get discount tickets ahead of time for the boat ride on their website, or even on your phone while standing in line which is what we did a year ago.

They also really liked shopping at small stores as well as the big department stores. We did a tour of the Opera Garnier in English and that was fun. We rode the bikes (velib) which they liked, but it was a bit tricky with four people trying to follow each other. We didn’t do it, but there are fashion shows every Friday at Galleries Lafayette, info is on their website.

Have a great time!
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 03:46 AM

A few questions:
How early are you planning to start from the Eiffel Tower?
Are your nieces with you the whole week?
Where are you staying?
For example, if you're staying in the 6th near the Luxembourg Gardens, I wouldn't recommend putting that into your two days since you're likely to see it the rest of the week. If not, then I would put that into it. I've been to the gardens dozens of time, lived in a foyer across the street while a student at the Sorbonne, and I still love them. IF you are not staying near the gardens, as much as you say you want to walk, I suggest taking the 87 or 69 bus from the Rapp/La Bourdonnais stop near the ET to a stop somewhere in the Odeon/St Sulpice area, visiting the gardens and then walking through the Saint Germain/Latin Quarter area down to the river, over to Ile St Louis and/or Ile de la Cite, stopping for lunch somewhere, then onto the Marais/Bastille area. That should take up a good chunk of the day. (I'm not going to give any restaurant recs for lunch because Paris-expert Fodorites are such a testy bunch that no matter what anyone suggests, someone else will make a snide comment about it.)

Just a personal observation: we were last in Paris for four weeks in December 2018/early January 2019. It wasn't our first visit -- I've been more than 100 times, my husband several dozen -- and the place we liked least on this trip was the Rue de Rivoli. Super crowded, huge lines for the Angelina hot chocolate/tea house. FWIW, if you are in that area and want to make a rejuvenating pit stop, you might want to consider Toraya on Rue Saint-Florentin off the RdR. It's the Paris outpost of a 500+ years old Japanese patisserie/tea salon. We loved it and brought a selection of their teas home with us: https://www.toraya-group.co.jp/toraya-paris/

paris_bus_87_map_hq_via_eutouring.pdf
paris_bus_69_map_hq_via_eutouring.pdf

Another FWIW, if you and your nieces are staying in the Marais/Bastille area, then instead of starting with the ET, you could do the route in reverse and end there. You could also make day one all Left Bank and day two all Right Bank.

Last edited by WeisserTee; Mar 27th, 2019 at 03:55 AM.