Reassurance for Portugal

Old May 18th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reassurance for Portugal

Hi! I am hoping that someone can give me some reassurance for Portugal and what to expect. My family and I decided to do a tour around Portugal on a whim instead of Greece! We are starting our tour in Algarve. If anyone can give any advice or on what to expect (good or bad) that would be GREAT.

Thanks so much.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never been to the Algarve, but I have been to Lisbon and to the Alentejo, and really enjoyed it. What to expect? You might find my trip report useful:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35062668

Photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-9tois1
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:11 AM

What beautiful pictures. I am thinking about going next year to Lisbon. Where did you fly from? I am looking for the best connections from Boston.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I flew Northwest from Boston. Connected in Amsterdam on KLM to Lisbon.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:21 AM

Viaggio78,

A suggestion (we are going to Portugal in 2009): if you want to see ALL the possible connections, go to www.itasoftware.com and input the deparyre/arrival cities.

You could also use the "month-long" view to see when prices might be lowest.

This is an "aggregator" (not a consolidator) site; they don't sell tickets. I have found it to be a wealth of information when you want to find all airline possibilities between various points.
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:02 AM

I wouldn't chose Portugal instead of Greece.
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Comparing Greece and Portugal is apples and oranges, IMO.

I find a rental car compulsory to explore the Algarve and beyond. And they are very cheap in PT.
If you don't want to drive in Lisbon, you can stay in one of the seaside resorts and hop on a train.

Have a great trip!
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:54 AM

I did Lisbon on a three day weekend. It was very pleasant and I was glad I went.
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Was in Portugal in April and enjoyed my visit. Wish I had stayed in Lisbon longer as there were more things to see than we had time for. Caisis is a nice seaside town where we had lunch. On to Sintra which seemed more like an English town. I was on a bus from Seville, Lisbon, and on up to Fatima until we reached Madrid. Traveling through the country which was very varied in scenery was interesting. We saw a small part of the Algarve on our way into Lisbon.
I think you will like it.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Portugal is very different than Greece. Just as enjoyable but in a different way. I live in the Algarve (and have for 1 year). It is an easy place to travel and very relaxing. You can leave any stress at home. When are you coming and where are you staying? I am assuming that you will rent a car?
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM

My trip to Lisbon was so great, we are going to the Evora and Sagres this year; Oporto and the north next year.

For me Greece is hanging out at the beach or walking in the dust -- maybe I have been unlucky there.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU so much to everyone that wrote in. Fodorites are always so helpful. I am sorry I am late to respond, I have been on the road for work.

Nikki-GREAT trip report. Thanks!

SloJan-We are renting a car. We are starting off in Albufeira in Algarve at the Shearton Algarve Pine Cliffs and hope to go around the country. Do you know anything about that hotel? Some of the other places that have been suggested are Nazare, Obidos, and Alboraba. Do you have any thoughts on these or most see places?

Thanks again for all the input. I think we're more excited for the trip now.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
LJ

There are many things to do and see in the Algarve once you get beyond the "English" coast.
1. Monchique-a wondeful hill town that will take you back 5 centuries in 15 kilometres
2. Sagres and Cape St. Vincent and the compass of Henry the Naivgator
3. Fado and the Roman ruins
4. the Moorish influences on architecture when you travel the small towns north of the coast
5. The food: everything from wonderful fresh grilled sardine, the 'green'vino of the area, the amazing bread and cabbbage soups and piri-piri chicken to 5 Star restaurant. See www.algarvebuzz.com
6. The people

You have not made a mistake, in any way, you just need to get beyond the prejudices of those who are naysayers!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM

We spent 2 weeks in the Algarve in 2001, and loved it. Our hotel was just outside Alvor, and we took several day tours in the area, as well as taking the bus to Portimao and/or walking into Pria de Rocha on our own. Not just the food but the wine were delicious, and we found the Portugese people to be so very, very friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Truly a gracious and delightful area.

I agree with the list of "must-sees" but would like to add Lagos. The cathedral there is just gorgeous!
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:39 PM

We spent an entire month on the Algarve, rented a furnished apartment and then drove about. We were never bored. Wonderful coatline, beaches, shops, etc.

The little villages in the near by towns on the hillside are facinating, and the seafood is wonderful..mostly sea coast ambiance, but you can drive north or central and it is ever facinating, roads are good, people mostly speak english,and the Posaudas are perfect.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:14 AM

Well, while you are on the Algarve, be sure to walk down the beach, look for the restaurant with the huge clam shaped copper dish, (near Albuferea) and I think it is called "the Cataplana"...and that is the same name of the dish...to die for.!!! Steamed sea food, in it's own broth, with rice, tomatoes, etc. It's a party covered restaurant (one among many) and the folks there are SO nice.

Other things to do...on the Algarve (we stayed a month and never ran out of stuff to do.)...If you have a rental car, take a day trip to Sagres (where Henry the Navigator begain his travels)..the sea vistas are the most magnificant in the world, and it is also Europe's most southerly place, I think. There are old forts, caves, Roman ruins, and wonderful handicrafts, and of course, the ocean and the beach.

Have a wonderful time....We are going to, in November..but are going north this time.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Viaggio:

Some pix of Portugal taken last month, just to give you a feel for the countryside (and Lisbon)...we neglected the Algarve only because we're Californians with many years on the beach.

Try the slide show and if it hangs up just go to the last pic when it stalled and re-hit slide show button.

Stu T. (you might have picked these up on another thread)

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Portugal2008

Old Jun 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM

LJ-Thanks for info on Algarge. On our 3 week trip to Portugal in Sept our last week will be in Algarve. We have a timeshare near Albuferea-and a car to see the area. We were there in 89 and I loved Portugal so much I wanted to see more.
Stu-Where in Calif are you and your wife from? I was raised in so Calif-but now live in the Bay Area-mom had a beach house in Laguna-Chris
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM

hello again, Chris:

We are long-timers in L.A...origially from Quincy, Massachusetts (me), and Montreal (wife Roz). She lived in Petaluma for several years and went to UCBerkeley. I sometimes get jealous of my old Bostonian friends...only 6 hours to Europe!!!

We also visited London and The Cotswolds after leaving Portugal...first time in many years. The £, 2-1 over our sinking $, caused a bad case of "sticker shock"....

Stu T. (write if you wish)
[email protected]