REALLY inexpensive hotels in Florence

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Suzanne

REALLY inexpensive hotels in Florence

I am in the final stages of planning my trip to Europe. I have hotels picked out in just about every place except Florence. I will be traveling alone so I am looking for safe and clean but I am also looking not to spend very much. I am looking at pensions around 60 to 70 lire that are simple, clean, and quiet. I am a teacher so I tend to be frugal. I am also a person who only needs a room to sleep,and store luggage. I don't need "a view" (!) or special amenities. I do not want to stay in a hostel.<BR><BR>One hotel suggested was Burchianti. I would appreciate any other suggestions or comments on Burchianti.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Dottie

I answered this to a simular post Message: Albergo Firenze (055)214.203-268.301<BR>Fax 212370<BR>We stayed at this hotel in "99". It had pleasant room and newly remodeled private baths. Two blocks from the Duomo! What a wonderful location!! We walked everywhere!!! It was not expensive but I don't remember what it acually costs. I think somewhere around $50.00 a night including a continental breakfast.<BR><BR>t...

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Suzanne

Oops...I meant 60,000 to 70,000 Lire which would be around 30-35 US dollars.

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Leone

Suzanne: I would look into a B&B called "A Room with a View" http://www.bnb.it/beb/in5.htm which is for women only. My daughter, granddaughters and I stayed there this Spring and found the place to be marvelous. It consists of 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, an immaculate kitchen with every type of food you would want for breakfast, and the apt. is very quiet. It is located on the Borgo Pinti in a residential building, 3rd or 4th floor, no elevator. The price is within your requirements. <BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Leone

Suzanne: I would look into a B&B called "A Room with a View" http://www.bnb.it/beb/in5.htm which is for women only. My daughter, granddaughters and I stayed there this Spring and found the place to be marvelous. It consists of 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, an immaculate kitchen with every type of food you would want for breakfast, and the apt. is very quiet. It is located on the Borgo Pinti in a residential building, 3rd or 4th floor, no elevator. The price is within your requirements. Another alternative would be a convent and I know there is one just a few doors up from this B&B. If you want this info, email me and I'll look up the information for you.<BR>Leone<BR> <BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 07:12 PM
jane

Suzanne,<BR>I stayed in a very nice pensionne in florence called the hotel medici. it was a 2-star hotel about 1 block from the duomo. we had 4 in a room with a private bath with shower. a breakfast of rolls and coffee, hot chocolate, or tea was included. the cost was $25 per night for each of us or $100 for the room. it had a very nice roof garden, too. the location was great, the employees helpful, and it was very safe. after 11 at night, you had to be buzzed in. enjoy yourself whereever you choose to stay.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Rebecca

Suzanne, <BR><BR>I'm just beginning to put a trip together. I intend to stay in Florence for as long as 7 nights. My hotel needs are similiar to yours -- must be the common occupation ! <BR><BR>If you care to share other places you might have come up with to stay, I'd be very interested. Please email me. <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Rebecca

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Suzanne

Hi Rebecca!<BR><BR>Since posting this, I have made reservations at all of my hotels. The "A Room with a View" sounds very good, and although I am fairly fit, I don't know if I like the idea of lugging up 68 steps daily is " my cup of tea". I like the fact that it is non smoking and new.<BR><BR>I did find a hotel on one of the Italian hotel booking websites. It is called Tourist House Liberty and it seems to be nice and in an ok location. It is a little cheaper than A Room with a view. The owner seems to be very nice. Tourist House Liberty is 41 Euros a night (w/out bath) while A Room with a View is 47 Euros a night for a single.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:43 AM
maddy

Hi Suzanne,<BR><BR>We stayed at the Tourist House Liberty last May and it was just fine. I don't know if the owner you mentioned is the same as Alessandro that we dealt with, but he was absolutely adorable and very helpful. It's located about a 10-15 minute walk to the Duomo, was spotlessly clean and had quite a lot of character for the price. We had a room looking over the inner courtyard with a very pretty view so it was quiet at night. We'd definitely stay there again.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Suzzanne

Thank you Maddy for the info! I took a blind leap of faith booking this hotel and yes, it was Alessandro who e-mailed me back and forth - a very sweet person. I am so glad I booked there. <BR><BR>Rebecca, hope this infor helps!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 03:20 AM
XXX

I have to disagree with a post above. The Hotel Medici is a dump. I wouldn't stay there again, even for free.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Rebecca

Thanks Suzanne and Maddy - <BR><BR>I did a bit of checking on Tourist House Liberty -- when a "hotel" say "no bath" might I assume they have no private bath. But a bathroom/shower is available near by? <BR><BR>I know this sounds like a silly question -- but I didn't see bath omitted from any hotel's information until I read about Liberty -- then I found several hotels with similar omissions. <BR><BR>Of course, I would never just assume and not ask prior to booking !<BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:04 PM
andrea

The Soggiorgno Battistero is also another great bargain. I didn't stay there, but a friend did, so I will stay there in 2 weeks! You can see their photos on charminghotels.com. I think it was around 40 euros for a single!! <BR><BR>I've emailed the owner and she seems very nice and has been informative. Their email is [email protected]

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Suzzane

Hey Rebecca!<BR><BR>Many European hotels are have what I call dormitory style rooms...remember the old dorms at the university where the showers were down the hall?<BR><BR>At Tourist House Liberty my bath will be next to the room, but not in the room. The bath (toilet and shower) will be down the hall or near the room.<BR><BR>As long as the facilites are clean, I don't mind going down the hall for a shower. Saving money is my main concern and your cheapest rooms will be the ones without bath.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Maddy

Rebecca, <BR><BR>To confirm what Suzanne said. We stayed in a double with private bathroom/shower but in our correspondence with Alessandro he mentioned that there was a cheaper room available with a bath in the hall - just outside of the rooms. The place is small - maybe 5 or 6 rooms and basic (no air or tv) but still very charming -we really liked it. The website www.touristhouseliberty.it has several pictures that are good representations of the rooms. And wait until you see Alessandro...he has a face straight out of a Renaissance painting.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comments on tourist house liberty date back a while go. anyone stayed there recently or heard anything? it looks good from pics anyway and well located. its on via ventisette...whats this area like- noisy?
Old May 23rd, 2003, 06:00 AM

http://www.ilbargellino.com/

I've stayed here three times and sent friends . . . everyone loves it! Great location, nice rooms, owner is American (from Boston) married to an Italian.

I'll definitely stay here again whenever I return to Florence.

Sandy
Old May 23rd, 2003, 07:33 AM
bob

I agree with Sandy. The iL Bargellino is a good value, only a few blocks from the train station and the Duomo.It has a roof top terrace.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:07 AM

I disagree withthe poster who said Hotel Medici was a dump. I am female and was traveling through Florence alone and I very much enjoyed my stay there. It was very cheap for the extremely central location, clean and safe. The staff gave me wonderful suggestions for dinner places and encouraged me to visit Isola d'Elba which was a highlight of my travels.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:14 PM

thnak you for recommending this place..It was on my list until I called casa rabatti. I called and spoke with marcella who seems like sucha a doll. It had been recommended in rick steves (throught the back door book)....the best prices I could find for a triple room in florence for our budget was 90-95 euros. Marcella was offering 75 euros with private bath so I went with that. An uncle of mine knows someone who stayed here also and was very happy.
Thank you though!! I will let you know how this one works out..