Realistic Itinerary?

Sep 11th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Realistic Itinerary?

Greetings,
I'm planning a first trip to Ireland and was wondering if I'm on the right track. Any comments or reccomendations on the following general itinerary would be grand:

Day 1: Arr Shannon 7am, drive to Dingle.
Day 2: Dingle
Day 3: Dingle to Killarney
Day 4: Killarney to Doolin
Day 5: Doolin
Day 6: Doolin to Donegal
Day 7: Donegal
Day 8: Donegal to Galway
Day 9: Galway to Shannon to home

Some background info on me: I'm 30 and will be 4 months pregnant and traveling with my husband (we'll rent an automatic car). This will be our last trip for awhile, so we'd love to make it count without being too hectic. Also we're traveling on a budget so I'm considering staying in Hostels a couple of nights (maybe in Killarney and Galway) and in B&Bs the rest of the time to average around 55 euros a night for lodging. Realistic?
Sep 11th, 2003, 12:59 PM

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute.

I just wanted to commend you on your spelling of the word "itinerary". Such skills are so rare here.
Sep 11th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Ahhh, but I didn't fare so well with my spelling of recommendation above-- alas!
Sep 11th, 2003, 01:25 PM

I would leave Donegal and Galway for another trip. Since this is your first trip to Ireland, concentrate on the Southwest -- there is plenty to see and do and take up your time.

Consider Shannon to Doolin the first night, take in the Cliffs of Moher the following morning on the way to the Kilmer Ferry to Dingle. Spend a couple of days in Dingle, then off to Killarney, and save a couple of days for Kinsale (Blarney included). Depart Kinsale for Cashel on the way back to Shannon. Spend the night in Bunratty and do the Castle Midieval Dinner & Folk Park -- with a pint or two at Durty Nellies.

Drink lots of Guinness -- It is good for you and will make you strong.
Sep 11th, 2003, 01:49 PM

You don't say what time of year you are planning on going - it can make a difference as you get into late October , through March.

I too would concentrate on one section,

Doolin 1 night
Dingle 2
Killarney 2
Bonus night - either stay in Dingle or Killarney 3 nights or skip over to Kilkenny for 1 night
Kinsale or Cashel 2 nights
Shannon/Bunratty 1 night.

Driving takes longer there than you expect - plan on 35 mph as your average.
Depending on whether you are in high season or not, or use B&B's that are NOT ensuite ( there are a few of them left) you should be able to stay pretty close to your 55/night total. You probably won't be RIGHT in town, but that may be worth it to stay in your budget.

If you are heart set on going up to Donegal & Galway - Don't stay 2 full nights in Doolin. You don't need it.
Either use that extra day in Killarney or spend an extra night in Galway.

If you end up with just one night in Killarney - Stay that night in Dingle and do Killarney as a day trip. You won't have time for the Ring of Kerry anyway - so why stay overnight.

I also second the suggestion of the Medieval Banquet for your last night. You do need to make reservations though.
Sep 11th, 2003, 02:18 PM

Budman: In advising mjcm to drink up on the Guiness, I dare say you somehow missed the fact that she will be pregnant at the time of this trip.

Good advice for the husband, though...as long as he's not doing the driving, of course.
Sep 11th, 2003, 03:03 PM

I love Donegal, but I think I'd skip it if you're committed to Dingle and Killarney. I also don't think I'd spend more than one night in Doolin.
This summer, our B&Bs averaged 30-35 Euro per person. If you're not going to be there during the high season, you should be able to stay pretty close to your target figure of 55.
Sep 11th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Robdaddy, you are absolutely right. mjcm should only drink the water. Hubby can suck down the Guinness.
Sep 12th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I might have bitten off more than I can chew. I am planning to go in early November and was hoping to squeeze in Donegal because an old school chum lives there. Back to the drawing board!

As for the Guiness, I will be asking my Dr. if a sip would be alright. If so, I think himself will share.

Thanks again.
Sep 12th, 2003, 06:51 AM

In early November , you will be looking at sunset happening at about 5pm. You will really want to plan your days so that you get to each new town/B&B by around 4 to find the B&B and get checked in.

You could still do Donnegal, but you would have to change your focus from South West to Mid/North West. Concetrating on Galway/Donnegal.

Debbie
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:01 AM

If my doctor was opposed to my taking a sip of Guinness, I would find a new doctor.
Sep 13th, 2003, 07:27 PM

Russ, have you nothing better to do? I thought that was pretty rude actually because many people who contribute valuable information to this board do not have english as their first language. I correspond with many people from other non english speaking countries and I would never dream of pointing out to them incorrect english spelling, I am just very happy to hear from them. do you know other languages, is your spelling always perfect?
Think twice my friend. You were correct in your statement, nothing to contribute.
Sep 14th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Whatever you decide, you will have a great time.

I would spend at least 2 days for Dingle and 2 days for Kinsale. I would skip the Ring of Kerry and do Dingle Ring and the Connor Pass. Outstanding views.

Be sure to bring your rain gear. I remember a young Austrian couple telling us that there is never bad weather -- only bad clothes.