Ravello or Positano?

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:11 PM
dtp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ravello or Positano?

I am looking for a hotel with a sea view in either Ravello or Positano that cost about $200. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going in April.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:03 PM

There are many ocean view hotels in Positano although not too many in that price range. I can highly recommend Villa Rosa, which is 150 euro per night with large terraces that have beautiful sea views.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:13 PM

i really enjoyed our stay in positano. we were at the hotel posa posa and paid about 170.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:39 AM

You won't generally get a sea view in Ravello and if you do it will be quite distant. Bear in mind also that, being high up, Ravello will be much colder than Positano. We stayed in Ravello in June and while it was quite hot in the sun, in the shade and at night it was positively chilly. We also found Ravello a bit dull, so I'd recommend just taking a bus trip up there for a stroll round incorporating the two famous gardens.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:09 AM

we just stayed in Positano at the Hotel Pasitea. i don't remember the exact price but i think it was in your price range. request a room with a balcony and you will have a beautiful view.

erin
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:50 AM
dln

We spent a day in Ravello sightseeing and looked at all the hotels in town. We thought the prettiest one was the Villa Maria, which has an incredible view of the sea. The website is www.villamaria.it and it looks exactly as represented on the website. The prices are within your budget.

We thought Ravello was gorgeous. Very elegant and serene.

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 10:18 AM
awbaker

Both places are gorgeous, but the views will be different. We stayed in a double superior at Albergo Miramare (230 euros), but the standard doubles will have the same beautiful view (of the sea, the beach, the village & the hills) and the wonderful service for less money. If you want to see pictures of the view from our room, email me. [email protected]

Definitely visit Ravello if you don't end up staying there.

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 10:44 AM
awbaker

Oops, forgot to mention that the Miramare is in Positano.

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 02:49 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Garden Ristorante in Ravello with a view so stunning it made me cry when we went out on our balcony.
http://www.hotelgardenravello.it/
Only 105Euro a night, basic room, gorgeous view.

In Positano, we also stayed at the Villa Rosa, but if you stay on the 2nd floor (the first floor withrooms) only #20 has a somewhat decent view, as another hotel is in the way. This is a popular hotel, and might be booked already in April, but good luck.

I would try to stay in both towns, if you have the chance. BTW, IMHO, I didn't find Ravello "boring", it is just more laid back and quiet than Positano - don't miss it.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM

We stayed at the Villa La Tartana in Positano. It was wonderful....gorgeous view with a small balcony. We were there in September and it was 150 euros per night. Included breakfast served on your balcony each morning.....can't wait to go back.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:42 PM

Another vote for Villa Rosa Hotel in Positano, preferably room 32, (or any room on the 3rd or 4th floors though.)Villa Maria Hotel in Ravello is beautiful, although much quieter. It is high up in the hills so the sea view is much distant. A different kind of beauty. In Positano you can go up to Montepertuso for great meals at La Tagliata, Il Ritrovo, and Donna Rosa. Positano is truly incredible.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:14 PM

Which hotel would you suggest in the $250-300 per night range?
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:03 PM

We loved the Buca di Bacco. Paid 230 euros in Sept. for a view room with terrace and wonderful breakfast. Should cost less in April.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:08 PM

We stayed at the Villa Gabrisa in Positano in early July of this year. Our price was 165E. Breakfast was brought to our door for us to enjoy on our terrace each morning. We thoroughly enjoyed our balcony, preferring to dine there with a bottle of wine, fresh cheese and bread from the market to many of the local restaurants. Although the walk to the beach was strenuous, the local Positano bus made it easy to return to our hotel.

If we return to the AC, we will likely choose to stay in Ravello. We were not enthralled with the beach of Positano, nor were we enchanted with nearby Amalfi. The views from Villa Cimbrone in Ravello were breathtaking, so I would probably choose to go there in the future.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:58 PM
Melissajoy

We visited Ravello and Positano on our day-trip. Stay in Ravello if you are looking for a place that is remote, beautiful, and peaceful, and very romantic. think of a gorgeous place on a cliff and that is RAvello. Stay in Positano if you want a place that has romance and charm but has a greater variety of restaurants and shops, and more people. Positano is a charming vertical town that cascades down to the sea, with narrow winding walkways and steps.

Do you want to be on the sea, or above the sea?