Rapallo or Genoa?

Search

Rapallo or Genoa?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rapallo or Genoa?

We are flying into Malapensa and will be taking the train to either Genoa or Rapallo to spend the day and night. Which city would you choose? Thanks for your insights!
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM

There's lots to see in Genoa, but it's a big city. If you are arriving from overseas, you will probably be tired and looking for a place to chill out and get your legs back under you after an overnight flight. Rapallo fits that quite nicely. There are a few sights there, or you can just walk along the waterside, or take a ferry to Portofino or Santa Margarita or San Fruttuoso for the afternoon, and then call it an early night. I'd go for Rapallo.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Eze

Rapallo without any hesitation.
We made a stop over in Rapallo when we walked to Roma. If needed, i can give you the name of the hotel (+/- euros 100 in may 2008). Lovely and very quiet but slightly outside of the town.
A nice "pizzeria-trattoria" close to the train station.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:09 AM

Hi Cgo - Another vote for Rapallo.

The Portofino peninsular is one of the most scenic parts of Liguria. Don't miss Camogli too ...

Steve
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:49 AM

Rapallo without a doubt-just took a vacation there this past summer with my daughter and loved the town and the area.Although my daughter and I are history buffs and she is a sailor,we thought Genoa was nice for a very short day trip but not for spending a night.Rapallo (Hotel Astoria) overlooking the bay was a delight!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:51 AM

Forgot to add that Rapallo is a beautiful little city on the water with connections via train to Cinque Terre,Portofino,Genoa by train,bus or ferry. It is a "normal" residential town with a hint of tourism but not a big ugly dirty city like Genoa!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Rapallo was a unanimous vote! I forgot to mention that the night we will be there will be Saturday, March 28th. Will restaurants/stores be open at that time on a Saturday? Also, we want to day trip to Portofino. I'd love to take a ferry, but do you think they will be running then? If not, what's the best way to get there from Rapallo at the end of March? Thanks again everybody!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:52 PM

As usual I am often of a different mind. I love Genoa and consequently that would be my choice. But Rapallo it is, lol. Have a wonderful time in beautiful Italy Cgoshell.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 06:32 AM

If the ferries aren't running you can get to Portofino by bus via Santa Margherita. You will normally have to change bus there.

Another other option is train to Santa Margherita, then bus.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:11 AM

I love Genoa also. As you'll see, I recommended Rapallo above, but that was before I knew you were going in March. I think I'd select Genoa for March.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody! Julia, why do you recommend Genoa because it's March? Is that because you think not much would be open in Rapallo, SML, or Portofino at that time?
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM

It's because I think the weather can be a little iffy at that time of year - if it's cold or windy and wet, you might not enjoy what the area has to offer quite so much. Ideally, you might plan for both, wait to see the weather trend that week, then go with one or the other. I've been in that area in March when it's been sunny and bright and warm enough to sit outside at lunch, but also when it's been not so pleasant to be outdoors.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Julia. So, is there more to do/see indoors in Genoa than in Rapallo?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM

I love Rapallo and very much enjoyed my stay there. The train station is convenient and the little city is just a gem, with great access to SML, Portofino, etc. Restaurants were plentiful and good and I enjoyed the most amazing full moon I have ever experienced there on a clear night in late September. It is a romantic spot not overrun with American tourists, a big plus in my book.

I also really enjoyed my two visits to Genoa.

The aquarium there is excellent and I enjoyed walking along the waterfront. The food was very good in the trattorias I wandered into and I liked that it is more of a "real" city than a major tourist destination.

Both are enjoyable for different reasons. Depends what you are looking for, really.