Rail Strike

Old Mar 15th, 2023, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail Strike

I will be in Germany in a couple of months , am wondering if anyone knows if the rail strike will still be going on? Is public bus transportation on strike too? Is there current rail strikes in Austria and/or Switzerland? Any websites that cover the strikes that maybe in English? Since I plan to do most of my travel via train, I am wanting to find out anything on the strikes before getting to Germany! Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 03:19 PM

They tend to be very sporadic, spaced out, and announced fairly shortly before they occur. Right now the service sectors are being hit by a variety of strikes, from preschools to hospitals to transportation, and it's all a bit whack-a-mole. There's no way to know what things will be like in a couple weeks let alone months, but it's worthwhile to download the bahn.de app to your phone. They keep you up to date (moment by moment if you are on the go) about train cancellations and delays, as well as alternatives:
https://www.bahn.com/en/booking-info...-navigator-app

Old Mar 17th, 2023, 09:14 AM

The last railway strike in Switzerland took place 104 years agoo, from November 12th until November 14th 1918
Old Mar 18th, 2023, 05:24 AM

To illustrate more fully, here is a recent newspaper article (March 13th) describing a very possible one-day strike two weeks later, on March 27th for the Bahn. Some interesting comments translated from the original:

"It is not yet clear whether there will actually be a strike on Monday, March 27, 2023. However, travelers can count on a timely warning, because EVG negotiator Cosima Ingenschayder told Bild am Sonntag : "If we do that, we will announce strikes in good time."

" Accordingly, not only Deutsche Bahn and local public transport (ÖPNV) could be affected, but also the airports and the federal motorway company."

"If there is a rail strike, Deutsche Bahn customers must bring one thing with them above all: patience . According to the consumer advice center, train cancellations and delays are not only to be expected during a strike, but also for a few hours afterwards."
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Well I read another strike on Friday! I was hoping this would be resolved by now and am nervous it will continue in May when I am there. First time to Germany and I am looking forward to the trip. Covid ruined it in 2020 and now these strikes in 2023! Im thinking about just renting a car. I have a 7 day German Rail Pass but who knows if I will be able to use it or not. Does this strike affect the airports too? Or public buses?
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 03:20 PM

https://www.rnd.de/reise/streik-bei-...ADMLPU2XQ.html

There is a train strike on 21 April, from 3am - 13:00. It's actually only till 11am but the trains will be affected till 13:00. Not all trains are affected and you can find which trains are affected by looking online in the Deutsche Bahn timetable or using the DB Navigator app (which I recommend, there is information on there that you sometimes can't get on the platform, from experience). Trains will be stepped up gradually after that time. There are already a lot of people travelling on the weekend; DB suggests travelling on Thursday or next Mon or Tues. Hope it doesn't affect you too badly Raven. Have a look at the link with a translation tool; both Safari and Chrome have these in the address bar at the top. Airports and buses look not to be affected.

Lavandula