Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anybody use mydaytrip.com for Athens airport to Nafplio transfer w tourist stops?

Search

Anybody use mydaytrip.com for Athens airport to Nafplio transfer w tourist stops?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2023, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into the possibility of using this service to transfer from Athens airport to Nafplio, and add on some tourist stops along the way (Corinth Canal, Ancient Nemea, Castle of Acrocorinth and Mycenae). We are arriving at Athens airport (from Crete) at 9:10am on a Friday in September. We considered renting a car but the idea of a private transfer, especially with site-seeing stops seems very appealing and stress free. Cost is <= car rental (much less if renting from Hertz, about the same if renting from ACR). We would then return to Athens by bus (3 days later).

This service is very customizable, it allows you to specify stops and time spent at them (which is hard to determine). Since we have an early start, I think this is possible to do, as some of these stops are fairly quick. If we drove we would definitely not make this many stops, 1 or 2 at most, and then use the car for day trips from Nafplio. If we use this service, with the noted stops, the only other site outside of the Nafplio area I'd like to visit is Epidaurus. Either we'd rent a car for a day, or take a bus for that. The rest of the time we'd spend exploring Nafplio.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 12:31 PM

We did not use a private service to get from Athens airport to Nafplio so I can't comment or recommend any one company.

However, I thought I would mention that renting a car at the Athens Airport and driving to Nafplio is very easy and stress free. At least it was for us when we did this last May. We flew from Naxos to Athens Airport, where we picked up our rental car. We used National Car Rental which I rented from Kemwel/Auto Europe, who I have been using for years. Don't know how their prices compare to Hertz or ACR. The drive from the airport to Nafplio was an easy two-hour drive on highways. We chose not to make stops along the way because we arrived at Athens Airport around noon, and we were eager to get to Nafplio.

How many nights will you be in Nafplio? We were there for 5 nights, and we planned on visiting Mystras, Epidaurus, and Mycenae, and we also drove down the Argolid Peninsula to a beach and then to a fishing village. So we really needed and appreciated having the rental car for the entire time we were in Nafplio. I don't really like to depend on public transportation for sightseeing so for us having the car was very convenient.

It's nice that you can customize your transfer to suit your interests. You might be happier with the private transfer but I just wanted to let you know that the driving was easy and not stressful at all.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

We'll be in Nafplio for 3 nights, so we definitely can't do all those things you mention (never enough time!). 1 of the full days I definitely want to spend exploring Nafplio itself.

My husband is the driver. I'm the navigator. He's driven in Italy, Spain and Portugal, multiple times, mostly manual. Most recently he drove a day in Naxos, also with a stick (we "rented" an automatic, but they had none available when we arrived). There were moments.... He's a "young" 74 year old, but I still don't want to stress him too much, especially after we had rented an automatic last time (after he lost patience driving a manual) but ended up again with a manual. He was not happy.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 01:17 PM

This seems a reasonable option to explore. Nemea for us was an absorbing 2 - 2.5 hour stop, the canal a not very fascinating 20 minutes (much more time was spent getting off the highway and to it). Did not make it to Acrocorinth. Mycenae: long half day at a separate time. You are right to make Epidaurus the focus of a different day. Although I can't help on public transit, there must be day tours there from Nafplio.

Agree that the driving was dead easy, but hmm maybe that was because our daughter did nearly all of it.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 01:45 PM

I would skip Ancient Corinth & Acrocorinth, no matter whether you rent & drive or use a transfer.. too much.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Lots to think about
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 04:13 PM

Knowing that your husband doesn’t want to drive and doesn’t want to risk getting a manual instead of an automatic, then perhaps the transfer service with sightseeing stops makes the most sense.