Using Global rail pass Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2023, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased a global rail pass for Europe as we will be traveling for a few months. I am having a hard time finding out how to use it. My understanding is that I need to book trains in the local train app (Trenitalia) in Italy for trains that require reservations and pay the reservation fee. I have both the Trenitalia and Rail Planner App on my phone, but when I try to book through Trenitalia app, it just asks for me to pay full price. My understanding is that I need to just pay the booking fee. My first trip to book would be from Florence (Firenze SM Novella) to Trieste Train Station by the port for May16. My global pass is for first class. I haven't been able to find out how to do it properly. Since I will be using it often, I was hoping to understand how to use it. I will also be using it in Switzerland and believe I will run into the same issue with it using SBB.CH. If someone has some practical experience I can use, I would greatly appreciate it. I have already gone to both web sites but have not been able to figure it out. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 03:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I assume this is a EuRail pass?? Anyway -- seat 61 is the definitive source for all things rail travel related.

https://www.seat61.com

If the page doesn't answer your specific questions, Mark supplies his e-mail address and is very responsive
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 04:51 PM

It may be easier to go into a station when you arrive in Italy and make all your reservations for Itgaly there.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Seat 61 is excellent. I figured it out and now know how to use things. Just had to figure out how to buy seat reservations. Thanks so much for the information. So much good information. What was confusing was not knowing how to buy reservations on the phone. You really need to do it on a laptop. I'm now set up. Looking forward to traveling.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 06:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
yes - Isn't Seat61 amazing. Glad you have it figured out