Quiet reasonably priced Munich hotel during Oktoberfest

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a safe, quiet for sleeping hotel in Munich that is still accessible to Oktoberfest festivities? We will be coming from Vienna by train around 11 am and want to be able to drop luggage off at a hotel and visit the beer tents in the afternoon. We probably won't stay into the night at all or not very late at all. We leave for home in the US next morning, so we also want access to train to the airport as well. I know that all the prices are higher during that time, so I want to stay between $200-$300.

Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2017, 08:06 PM

Bookin.cim should be helpful.
Many hotels are already booked.
Old May 25th, 2017, 08:48 PM

Hi Cindywho,

You probably know that all Munich hotels raise their prices, doubled or even tripled, for the Oktoberfest. Many folks like to stay out of town a bit in order to save some cash.

Of course, you can get all over the region by Sbahn or Ubahn or bus or train.

So you may want to consider staying out near the airport, perhaps in the town of Freising, which lies between the city and the airport. It would be about 30-40 minutes to get to the city for the festivities and maybe 10 or 15 minutes to get to the airport.

I was looking at hotels there just last night, as I'm planning to bring my nephew to visit me in Garmisch for the Oktaberfest, and I was planning to have him fly out the next day. Singles were in the range of $100-150 for the dates 1-3 Oct.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old May 25th, 2017, 08:48 PM

Sorry -- that should be $100-150 per night for a single for those dates.

s
Old May 27th, 2017, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. We do have a hotel booked in Freising for only 122 euros, so I probably should stick with that one. I can cancel without penalty. We were just thinking it might be better to stay in Munich central. It will take us 45 min by train to get to the hotel to drop off luggage and 45 minutes back to city center. Than 45 minutes by train in the evening to get back to the hotel.

But it's probably best in order to save over 100 euros. And a short distance to the airport in the morning.
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 02:35 PM

Hi Cindy- I am surprised that nobody made this suggestion- If you don't mind ferrying the luggage AFTER a few biers at the 'Fest, store your luggage at the main train station when you arrive (probably have to use the checked luggage option unless you can find some empty storage lockers in the HBF). Then pick up the luggage and take the S-bahn to Freising when you leave the 'Fest. This will save the time (more than 2 hours) and the extra round trip cost of the S-bahn + taxi between the Freising Bahnhof and your hotel.

It is a short 4-5 blocks easy walk between the HBF and the 'Fest. Don't take anything to the 'Fest that you don't mind checking before entering (security) like a purse or backpack.

Have a great trip!!!

Old Jun 1st, 2017, 02:46 PM

(probably have to use the checked luggage option unless you can find some empty storage lockers in the HBF).>

Yeh lockers may be full and there could be lines at manual luggage check but good idea.