Need Hotel near Munich Airport

Old May 9th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Hotel near Munich Airport

We are doing a train trip through Germany and our last night in Germany I need to book a hotel room near the airport which is also near a train station. Any suggestion would be most helpful to me. I didn't want to stay in downtown Munich as we are going around Octoberfest timeframe and the hotel prices are outrageous. Thought we would stay closer to the airport, but need to be near a train for transportation purposes.
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:59 PM

This may help. We stayed in Freising a couple times before flying out. There is a shuttle bus at ~ 4 euros (Bus 635) from the Freising train station to the airport. It is about a 15 minute ride that leaves every 20 minutes. We have stayed at the Hotel Bayerischer Hof our last couple of visits. Made reservations on HRS.com.

There is train service from Munich and several other points in the area.

Problem: Freising might be too near Munich if Oktoberfest is on. You may have to go out as far as Landshut. Take a train to Freising and then transfer to the airport on the shuttle bus.

Both are nice small towns.

Regards, Gary
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:51 PM

Freising is a great town to stay in.

I've stayed there many times on both business and pleasure.

Read about its history. It predates Munich by quite a bit.
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:29 PM

You could try Landshut which is not far from Freising. We spent a couple of nights there a couple of years ago before flying out of Munich. They have a dedicated bus that zips you right to the airport and it is very inexpensive. Landshut was a lovely place to be for a couple of days.We stayed at the Hotel Goldene Sonne and the morning we departed we just walked a block or two over by McDonalds to get the bus. It seems the trip time was approximately 45 minutes.
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM

Gary is spot on - Freising is pretty close to Munich, and hotel rates during Oktoberfest should be very high - though it does not hurt to check hrs.com

Landshut is a good alternative, and also a very nice town to visit which usually gets overlooked by overseas visitors.

There is also a multitude of "airport hotels" in nearby towns to the East of the airport, like Erding. You can reach those usually more or less comfortably by suburban trains from Munich - but they will probably also have doubled their rates.

Ingolstadt, north of Munich, also has a direct airport bus. And it's on the main Munich-Nuremberg railway line.
Yet it's somewhat less "quaint" than Landshut, which is really pretty.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:30 PM

If your flight doesn't leave Munich until after lunch you don't have to stay close to the airport...This would give you many more reasonably priced hotel options. However, I found a Holiday Inn in Schwaig which is within 5 Km of the airport for about $200/night. They have a shuttle for 5 Euro /person each way between the hotel and the airport...

Have a good trip!!!