Quick Trip To Iceland

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Trip To Iceland

I've come across a great deal for a three night trip to Reykjavic, departing late Thursdays and returning early Mondays til late March. While I'd like to tour the city a bit, I'm most interested in day trips outside the city. I won't have a car.
Query: Are there tour operaters who run fun winter day trips, such as snow scooters on nearby glacier, or perhaps horseback riding? Any other not-too-distant places of interest? We like the out-of-doors and this sounds like a great short getaway.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Interesting question -- I too would be interested in any responses.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:57 AM

We loved Iceland when we visited there in early June of 2002. I feel so cold right now just the thought of Iceland lowers my body temperature 20 degrees but the thought of soaking in the Blue Lagoon raises it right back up. We did several tours arranged through icelandair, you might try them. I found a brochure which lists year round and seasonal tours, go to their website at www.icelandexcursions.is. This may or may not be the company used thru the airline but it seems to offer similar tours. Iceland was an unexpected delight to us, hope you enjoy as well. Deborah
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Found another brochure about horseback riding that looks like it operates year round. Look at www.ishestar.is Deborah
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Amy

There are 4WD trips and dogsleds in the winter, as well as the usual "Golden Circle" tour; you can visit the Blue Lagoon on your way to the airport. It seems that most of the tour companies are "interchangeable" and you can usually book from your hotel.

Check out http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=2&tid=1278237 if you haven't already for some recommendations.

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the responses. Think I'm going to book a get-a-way for mid-March.

Michelle: I found this deal on Frommers.com website. Click on the "deals" button and then type in "iceland." The company offering this deal is listed. Included r/t airfare (from certain cities), decent hotel for 3 nights, and breakfast. No tours available. The cost of #349. does not include an added $89.00 worth of transportation taxes per person. Still, a pretty decent deal.