Iceland/Reykjavik - to go or not to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I visit freinds and family in the Uk I try to make a side trip to a nearby place. This year I will be in the Uk in April and I am thinking of visiting Rykjavik fo four or five days. I would like feedback from fodorites who have been to Iceland. Is Reykjavik worth going to in April and what day trips from Reykjavik should I take. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:31 PM

SWilliams, Iceland was a wonderful surprise in June. We loved it, hopefully someone who has been there in April can tell you what is open at that time. We did tours with Iceland Excursions, expensive but the easiest way to see as much as we could in the three days we were there. Their brochure says they do tours all year. It's an 2002 brochure and gives an website of www.icelandexcursions.is. If you can tolerate the weather I say go. Deborah
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Iceland is well worth the trip. I've been there twice and loved it. There is a "golden circle" day tour which takes you to several highlights. Also, don't miss the blue lagoon. I would suggest you go to the Icelandic air website where they have many day trips and other options available. I was there in June and August so I'm not familiar with April weather. I believe that the weather will be OK. In the summer you get those very long days which is a treat.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM

my apologies, I have too many an's and not enough a's in my sentences. I think I am tired and not posting properly right now But I still say definitely go to Iceland Deborah
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:35 AM

I've been to Iceland 3X, once towards the end of April. No problem with finding things open. The golden ring tour is well worth while and can easily be done on your own. Guided tours tend to be expensive (but so are rental cars). Go! You wont regret it.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:01 PM

We had a short visit to Reykjavik in July. Upon arrival we took a bus tour to the Blue Lagoon and then after we checked into our hotel we walked around town and had hot dogs for dinner. The next day we went on the full day Golden Circle tour and enjoyed it very much. That evening we visited the Ice Bar for a drink (we had soda's so was much cheaper than if you have an adult beverage) and had a nice dinner. The next morning we walked around town some more but were dissappointed that shops etc. did not open very early. We took the elevator to the top of the church for a great view then caught a bus to the airport. Quick and fun. I wish we had time to do more. Barb
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM

I don't know where you are travelling from, but Icelandair has wonderful connections between some US cities and the UK, with a stop in Reykjavik. You can arrange a layover in Reykjavik to spend a few days in Iceland.

Another good website is http://www.re.is/ (probably the world's shortest URL), which specializes in day trips from Reykjavik.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Heimdall, that is exasctly what we did and sure am glad. Barb
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Iceland is a very different place. I have lived here for over 3 months as a student at the university in Reykjavik. Biggest tips I can give are... 1) Never expect to hear the words "Please", "thank you", or "excuse me", Icelanders will rarely use them and do not respond to the use of them; 2) drinking is the biggest part of their culture, all ages, from 20-70, may be seen being kicked out of bars at closing at 5:30 or 6 am; and finally 3) it is very expensive, be prepared to pay at least 9 USD for a cheap tasting beer, and at least 15 USD for a low-end meal. It is a very pretty city in the sun, I suggest in Reykjavik to go on a few walks through the parks, checking out the grave yard off Hringbraut street, and eating in the small bakeries-they're interesting and fairly inexpensive. Also, there are some great easy hikes about 20 min from the city.