Search

Iceland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland

I am traveling to Iceland this July for a week. I have already booked my airfare, but I'm not sure if I should take a tour or not. We are two couples who are active and in our 50's. We are thinking of doing a 5 day adventure tour which would still leave us 3 extra days on our own.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM

Hi folks,
have been to Iceland just once in my life and this was not a very pleasant stay.
Met the rudest people at check-in when departing.
Even in July and during full sunshine the temperature did not go over 70s.
And paying 12 bucks for a glass of beer, 10 for a coke and 20 for a hamburger was not really fun.
Anyway, there are several agencies in Reykjavik where you can book a tour. And next to the domestic airport are many buses leaving for day tours.
And one good thing| There are just less than 200000 Icelanders!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:10 PM

I'll throw out a differing opinion... we just spent 2 weeks in Iceland in October. We had a terrific time and would go back in a heartbeat. Yes, things are expensive (there are ways around some of that), but the scenery was great, the people were friendly, and the food was excellent.

Whether you take a tour or not is a matter of personal preference. We planned to do a lot of hiking and prefer to get out on our own. I'd use your personal interests to guide whether you take a tour or not. However, if you give me some idea of the things you'd like to see or do, I can make a few suggestions.

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM

No denying that Iceland is very expensive. It will most likely be one of the most naturally beautiful and pollution free places on earth. You might want to look at Reykjavik Excursions website (www.re.is)for touring suggestions. And like the previous poster, we found Icelanders to be friendly and quite welcoming.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks. We like to be active-hiking, maybe horseback riding, boating,etc. I'm not sure how much we can fit in for one week. Is there a particular area of Iceland, not to be missed?
I read some old responses that mentioned the SuperJeep tours. Should we book that for a day?
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:21 AM

sesjazz, I'm coming to this thread late and I don't know if you're still around, but I highly recommend the super jeep tours. We took the one to Thorsmork and it was truly a unique experience - one of the highlights of our trip. We used an agency called Nature Explorer. They were great. Thorsmork is a valley region that gets runoff from glaciers, and the only way to see it is by super jeep or by driving yourself, which I don't recommend unless you're used to river driving.

Have a great trip!