A week in Iceland- July 2018

Old Mar 7th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week in Iceland- July 2018

Hi everyone,

I am planning a week trip with a friend of mine to Iceland this summer most likely in July. We are planning on renting a car and I would love to get anyone's input. What are some of your recommendations? While I have traveled quite a lot I really don't know much about Iceland and largely ignorant here. While flights to Reykjavik are quite inexpensive from New Jersey, I know that Iceland can be very pricey. I won't be on a strict budget but I will be watching my money so any suggestions with places to stay, food is also welcomed. What about places to see in Reykjavik? How much time do you recommend there? I say I will be a week but I might be able to squeeze out a few more days if needed. Cheers, John
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 02:30 PM

There are guidebooks to Iceland. You might want to pick one or more up or read them at the library. The country also has a comprehensive website it would be useful to peruse. I've been to Iceland twice in the past 5 years and once many years ago and can recommend it highly for a unique experience.

Everyone says Iceland is so pricey - we haven't found it so, but maybe we have been lucky. The last two times we have gone we have stayed in the Hotel Frón in Reykyavik for 50€ a night in a spacious double. Right in the center of town and easy access to everything. We have taken the free (well, you should give a tip) student-led tours of the town, and they were wonderful. We don't go to the Blue Lagoon (went there on first trip years ago and were not thrilled with the price or the atmosphere); we go to the many local, inexpensive public hot sprigs and pools. We eat at Mezze, the only Turkish restaurant in Iceland or we go down to the docks and hang out at the Haitian café for cheap snacks or we splurge on a nice meal or two.

You can of course do a lot more exploring around the country than we have done. We have never stayed more than 4 nights, and that was sufficient for us. Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Amy

My first trip to Iceland was in 1996, with two more before 2002; my most recent was last year. It is amazing how crowded everything was to me this past year in comparison, but it is a beautiful country and very interesting. A week should give you a good flavor, but if you can spend more time there is certainly enough to do. I can't speak to the driving, as we stayed in Reykjavik and took excursions out, but there are some good trip reports on here from those who have driven. We saved money by preparing our own meals (and going more than once to the hot dog stand near the wharf!), but one of my favorite new things was the Reykjavik Citywalk food tour; it's a bit spendy at about $135, but really great.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 03:00 PM

I suppose everyone who goes to Iceland has to have one of those hotdogs, but we were repulsed by them - the fermented shark was better. We took one bit eand tossed them in the bin by the shack. To each his own. I would have killed for a Hebrew National with yellow mustard and onions.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 02:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Count us among those who found Iceland expensive - we visit Switzerland often, and while it's expensive, we found Iceland more so (and worse value).

You might (or might not) get some ideas from my Iceland trip report from last May:

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...-trip-1453922/

As for saving money, I suggest you find accommodation with an included breakfast or a self-catering place where you can prepare your own meals. Prices will be at a premium in July. Alcohol is very expensive - if you imbibe, you'd do well to pick up a good supply of beverages upon arrival in Duty Free (allowances are quite generous). Happy Hours are popular in Reykjavik, some of them lasting up to four hours, so that's also an option. And eat lots of Skyr - inexpensive (in grocery stores) and high in protein

Prepare yourself for some serious sticker shock.