Questions from OP (comical rant)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2016, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is supposed to be relatively funny, no need to tell me that if I'm not satified I am not obliged to answer OP's questions..

So, I collated some of the usual requests from OP's that I listed as a post.

So questions :
I'm going to Yurop :
1. What is there to see ?
(come on guys, you don’t think I’ll buy a paperguide and do some research, would you ?)
2. Safe place to stay, close to the main attractions
3. What are the must sees ?
4. I realize they are not all WASP there – Can it be a problem for me, can I survive in these kind of places ?
5. How to go to my hotel ? (no, I won’t tell you where it is, just give the name, funnier…)
Err, forgot the name… not sure it still has one actually 
6. Where can I get a good restaurant ?
My children are picky, so a pizzeria would be nice, my DD,DH, BB, wants to eat in a place like (insert a restuarant that nobody in Europe has heard of)
7. Of course I’m traveling only with $, will these underdeveloped guys take them ?
8. AC : do I need AC ?
9. Car rental : can you rec one ?
One that doesn’t send me fines with fees
One that I can give back with scratches without checking and not pay anything
With winter tyres
With no drop off fees, but I’ll give it back on (insert a country several thousands miles away)
How can I go from xxxx to YYY (ideally an island) by car (and I hate ferries)
10. Hotel : can you rec a hotel in a non-touristy place, close to the must sees, cheap, with king size beds, and US breakfast
11. Patisserie : where can I buy the best croissants..
12. Apartment : I found an apartment, is it good ?
I have no rec, don't know where it is, so no review, 3rd floor no lift and owner wants 95% 4 months in advance cash, the rest when I arrive.
I arrive at 3 30 am, wil lthe owner greet me ?
13. I don't speak French, nor Bengalese, nor xxxx do these guys speak English ?
14. I don't know their laws and will apply the ones in my country of origin, can it cause a problem ?

And I will end by saying that there are some great guys among you who keep answering all those questions... without showing that they are getting tired of some

I'm grumpy (am I ?) , hence my post... hoping it brought a smile out of you - if it didn't, just don't comment : 'I don't understand how some regulars can be so rude and need to answer posts that they don't like. The questions were perfectly legit, if you don't like it, just move on, not that difficult, is it ?'

Have a nice day !
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 03:52 AM

Love it.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 04:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess if these questions irk you, then don't answer them

You may like these

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...issing-3058794
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 04:45 AM

<i>Questions from OP (comical rant)
Posted by: Whathello on Jan 18, 16 at 6:33am
Posted in: Europe </i>

ROTFL!
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 05:15 AM

My favorite was a guy currently living in asia (forget where) who was traveling with his family and was looking for a quality hotel room in the central part of Rome for $35 per night for all 5 or 6 people.

Also a woman asking about attire in a very famous upscale restaurant in London who was asking if her husband had to wear a shirt with sleeves (did she mean a tank top or some other sort of shirt with sleeves ripped off?).

And then there was the couple from FL who were insisting that they could visit anyplace they wanted in Venice, including the Duomo, in shorts, tank tops and flip flops because they went to church in FL dressed like that - then it turned out they were going in December.

Now, IMHO just asking these questions is bad enough - but does have a certain comic quality. My big problem is those that insist they can do whatever they want despite multiple responses from experienced travelers saying it won't work.

But I still would love to see the tipping the pilot and similar threads revived.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I forgot the churchgoing and the tipping. Flip flop used ot get me hote on the subject but I manage to control myself now ;-)

What else ?
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 05:54 AM

I remember the lady who wanted to know where to get Velveeta cheese in the UK. She wanted to take over a bed and breakfast kitchen to cook a Texan speciality for the landlady.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 06:07 AM

Like all good satire, I thought it was a real posting. Some you omitted:

Hubs is a meat and potato guy, I'm a veggie person, should we go Italy?

My friend said that everybody in France doesn't shower, should I do the same thing? (He has never been there.)

I don't know to drive, will they rent me a car?

And the most common... we will be in Europe for three days, do you think visiting Moscow, London, Istanbul, and Ibiza is too much. I always wanted to visit Paris too.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember the guy who wanted to sneak his two kids into a double room and kept arguing about it?

It's the "what should I see in (somewhere)" people who really amaze me, though. If they said "what besides the Tower, the British Museum, the War Rooms", It would be different.

This is the third time I'm trying to post this. The (somewhere) was something else, with basic punctuation I think the site doesn't like.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 06:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Remember the guy who wanted to sneak his two kids into a double room and kept arguing about it?<<

That fella is still an active member . . . AND gives advice on the Europe board
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it is sweet when parents talk about their kids and they being allowed to input to the planning and they turn out 22 and 24. Then I think about it.....

More interesting are the " my 16 year old kid wants to go to the Moulin Rouge while we are in Hawaii"... still I can dream
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 06:49 AM

'what is the weather going to be like in April 2017...'

It was 16 celsius at Christmas. It can be less than that in the middle of summer. It can snow in April, or it could be 25 celsius. We don't have a clue what the weather will be like during your holiday.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 07:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Seemingly the most difficult word to spell in the English language...itenary.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 07:13 AM

HA fun read.. liked number 10 especially..

So many "I want to be central and near the sights, but don't want to be in a touristy area" posts..

Also.. I am going to Paris, London, Rome.. other then the "touristy sights" what is there to see.. ?
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 07:15 AM

Oh. I forgot another question I see that usually has be scratching my head..

" We are going to -------, what is there to see there?"

why do people buy plane tickets to destinations but have no idea at all WHY they want to go there.. ?
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 08:09 AM

Whathello, you forgot about tipping!
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 08:22 AM

MmePerdu: You forgot the ubiquitous "me and my..." and the inability to distinguish between "advice" and "advise."

Among my favorite topic titles is "Are we crazy...."

When I see that word in a question, it makes me want to answer "Yes, you are," without even reading the post, which is invariably jammed with too many destinations.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 08:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I did indeed, Peg. Itenary tends to be in the title, me and my..., or even better, me and the... tend to be in the text asking for advises.

And now I'm waiting for us all to be berated for our arrogance by you-know-who.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 08:32 AM

I used to have a list of 35 different spellings of itinerary. I don't get it. It's intearly finitik.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 08:37 AM

I have kept a list - so far have 14 different misspellings of itinerary.

Another things that grates is those people who keep using "myself" when they don't know if they should use me or I.

Or "my friend and me are going"

And yes, those who have 6 days in Italy and want to see Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Venice and CT - but want to focus on things "off the beaten track" and have a relaxed vacation

I usually assume that the "advice"and "advise"is someone who's native language is not English. But then some posters do not seem to have any native language.

And whatever happened to Dobby the Turtle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -