Questions about Paris and Dijon Train Stations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to France next April/May and have a couple of questions about train stations:

Does the train station in Dijon have a place to check baggage? We'll be arriving on the train from Paris and would like to spend the afternoon exploring Dijon before heading to our hotel in Beaune.

We will be driving a rental car back to Paris toward the end of our trip and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest the best Paris train station to choose for car drop off (Planning to rent through AutoEurope and they allow you to select the drop off place in Paris). By best, I mean easiest, most direct drive from the ring-road surrounding Paris.

I know some people might suggest dropping the car off at a destination outside Paris and taking the train into the city, but I've looked into various options and prefer to drop off at a Paris train station. I've driven in Paris before, so understand the traffic headaches. I'm not worried about driving in the city, just looking for any suggestions on how to make it as easy as possible.

Thanks
Diane

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Oui - Dijon station, according to SNCF, French railways info, has a left-luggage - one of few in country still open.
As for Paris station I'd say Gare de Lyon is as easy to reach as any as it's just a few kilometres down a wide road from the Peripherique - the circular freeway around Paris - should be a snap - or even easier if coming from south or west is Massy-TGV station, a major interchange station on southern fringe of Paris with RER/metro station nearby. At Gare de Lyon i believe the car rental drop is on the south side, before you get to the swirl of traffic in front of the station. If it's a Sat or Sun traffic will be minimal in Paris so any station could be a snap.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Hi Diane, I agree with Bob on the left-luggage. If by any chance they get closed I can offer you to put them in the cellar of the flat I rent out in Dijon while you exploring Dijon. it is very secure and right next to what you're going to visit.
corinne
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Rather than leaving the car at a Paris train station, why not drop it at the Orly airport and then take a taxi or the RER into Paris? That would be much the easiest.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Corinne, I appreciate your generous offer to store our luggage in Dijon if the train station baggage check is closed. I'm still not sure yet if we'll spend the afternoon in Dijon when we first arrive in the Burgundy area or visit the city on another day. I'm just trying to figure out all my options!

PalenqueBob, the Gare de Lyon sounds ideal. Although I'm going to investigate the suggestion to drop off at Orly. I've never dropped off a car rental there before (or at CDG). I find it such a hassle at most U.S. airports to drop off rental cars. But perhaps that's because I'm usually anxious about making a flight, which won't be the case when we're in France!

Thanks again to all for the replies.
Diane
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Well there are often extra drop-off fees at airports - if doing that see if the Massy TGV station, located just a few miles from Orly and not nearly so hectic, can be a drop - then take the RER into town.