Questioning bookings of hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of six are planning on a trip to Prague this Nov. I am working on booking hotels and have been dealing with [email protected].
My question is has anyone dealt with this sevice before? Do you think that it is safe to give my credit card info to them. I got a bit nervous when it was almost 2,000$.
Also we have the Maximillion,Savoy and Palace in Prague. Has anyone stayed in any of these and would you recommend them.
We are also going to Vienna for 2 nights and have the DeFrance. Any info will be so appreciated.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Hi, have you also tried to book with the hotels directly? Personally that's what I would rather do.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:08 AM

hi, I've stayed at the Maximillian twice, it's one of my favorite European hotels. Very nice rooms, service, good quiet location but short walk to main tourist areas and Old Town central square.

I don't know much about volny.cz, but I know they show up a lot if you do searched for Prague hotels. I don't understand about the $2000 price, though. Are you saying you are prepaying your entire hotel stay? I would never do that myself. If you know you are getting 50 pct off or something, I can see the attraction for that, but not if you are paying standard rates.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:10 AM

I don't know about the places in Prague, but in Vienna, I can tell you about Hotel de France. It is located right on the Ringstrasse (Shottenring) near the university and Votive Church, in the middle of everything. The bedrooms are beautiful and there are couple of good restaurants on the premises. I think one was called Bel Etage and I had pretty decent tafelspitz there. It is only about 15 minutes walk to Stephansplatz, as is anything on the Ring.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:10 AM
ira

Hi su,

>Do you think that it is safe to give my credit card info to them.<

It is just as sae as giving CC infor to a hotel.

Your CC company has a website where you can look up your current billings.

If you find something that isn't right, notify them immediately. You won't be liable for fraud.

Are you being asked to pay the entire amount in advance? That's unusual.

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Volny.cz is an ISP, and I would be a little reluctant to use a booking company that doesnt ahve hteir own domain.

Up to a few years ago, it was better ot use a booking service for the hotels in Eastern Europe, but now (with the exception of some services for Russia which specialize in Russia) it is better to make reservations direclty with the hotel.

It would not be unusual ot pay the booking service in advance for the entire stay, though.

I've had friends who stayed at the Savoy and Palace, they liked it but their rooms were smaller than mine at the Four Seasons (although I think they paid a lot less!)
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I am questioning the hotels-of-prague @volny.cz people.
I did try to directly reserve from the hotels and they are charging a higher rate. I am wondering if this is like a travelocity site in the US.??
I will keep investigating before I give my credit card info. It just feels like I have this gut feeling for a reason and I do not want to mess up a family vacation. I may go to Jasonholt sight and see what he has to say.
Any other information from you all is still so appreciated.
I would love any family tips. My kids are 23-21-17-12.
Any favorite places or restaurants that kids would enjoy??
Thanks again!!!!!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:46 AM

I have stayed at the Savoy in Prague on several occasions.

First, I would e-mail the Savoy directly and ask them to quote you their best rate. That way you can compare prices.

The Savoy is a hotel you don't hear a lot about on this board..probably because it isn't overlooking the Charles Bridge where a lot of people seem to want to stay, and also probably because it is a more expensive place to stay.

The location is close to, and within walking distance of, the Castle and the Loretto amongst other sites. Tram line (#22 I believe) stops literally at the hotel's front door. You can be down at the river in about ten minutes by tram. The staff have always been very friendly and the concierge services are wonderful.

Good breakfast buffet; great food at other meals in the well-known dining room; minibar in the room is complimentary. Large fully marbled bathrooms with separate shower enclosure. Ask for one of the rooms up on the 8th floor which overlook Keplerova Street if you can afford them.

Have a wonderful stay in Prague.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:01 AM
viennese

I agree with Platzman on the De France.

I just checked hrs.de:

Rate for the De France, Vienna in November: € 155 for a double room per night, breakfast included.

Rate for Savoy, Prague: € 199 for a double room per night, breakfast included.

Rate for Le Palais, Prague: € 194 for a double room per night, breakfast included. (Don't know if it is the Hotel Palace you indicate)

I used www.hrs.de a lot of times. There is no payment upfront, most of the times you can cancel your reservation without fee one day before arrival (depends on the hotel) and I never had any problems with it.

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Not sure how long you are staying or how many rooms you are booking but the price seemed really high for Prague - check out the Hotel U Prince - right on the main Wenceslas Square - forgive my bad spelling. I stay there for business - the rooms are old world charming - big, great bathroom, they have a lovely roof terrace, hotel bar and decent but not great restuarant - check it out - Hotel U Prince
Staromestske namesti
Prague 1
Tel: +420 607 55 27 31
http://www.hoteluprince.cz/english/index.htm

fairly cheap and really great location - I would be surpised if any hotel took more than one night's booking as a down payment.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 11:04 AM

oh, I don't think there's anything that unusual about having an ISP for the domain name of your address. That wouldn't bother me.

There isn't any way to judge if these prices are high or not, as we don't know number of nights. Those are all adults in terms of bed size, so that could be for three rooms. I've seen that web site and the room rates aren't too high, so there's probably nothing wrong with the prices (those are expensive hotels, also).

I'll be honest, I would never prepay hotel rooms. Maybe if you gave more specific info as to what the hotel's own rates are vs. this booking agent and what you are getting for that, I could see why you'd do that. I've booked hotels in several cities through agents and have never prepaid a penny, although I know some web sites do this. It's not necessary, however, even for a booking agent.

I think it's probably safe enough, I guess the problem is that you think you may not really have reservations after you've paid for them. Check with the hotel directly afterwards to make sure they have it recorded correctly.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you my fellow travelers!!
I have gained alot of helpful information .
The hotels are a total of 6 nights. We are booking 2 rooms with 1 cot in each room. The total cost quoted to me is 1720euros.
once again your helpful information is so useful.