Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question regarding best itinerary by car in Germany

Jul 11th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

First off, Thank you so very much for all you taking time posting and helping fellow travelers as myself without the experience to be able to have a fantastic vacation. I have read the postings and learned so much. I need help with the itinerary fro 12 day Germany trip by car. We are stationed outside of Venice. My destinations are as follows: Black Forest (not Baden Baden) beautiful area with hiking and scenery. Trier and the Mosel River. Would like to train to Amsterdam. Could leave the car in Frankfurt. Cologne( this is Koln in German I hope?) down the Rhine. Hieldelburg. Romantic Romantic road to Fussen. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to plan a trip for my husband
and myself. A much needed vacation for my husband! Any personal favorite stays, sights, or places to eat would be appreciated. Thank you again for all your posting. I could not even have attemped this without your wealth of knowledge. Just not to good with logistics
Jul 11th, 2007, 04:37 AM

Here's my tip...

For a "beautiful area with hiking and scenery" you should not fail to include the Berchtesgaden area!
Jul 11th, 2007, 08:29 AM

That's a lot for 12 days.
The Romantic Road is a favorite destination, it's a nice drive with lots to do. Its a favorite destination for many travelers and with good reason.

My husband and I loved the Black Forest. You'll find some beautiful places to hike, explore small towns as well as some interesting museums. Although, you didn't mention museums as part of your interests.
Why not Baden-Baden, BTW?

You may want to look at:
www.romanticroad.de
www.blackforest-tourism.com/
www.schwarzwald.de
www.s-alb.de

I couldn't list a favorite small town or hikes- there were so many lovely small towns and hikes in Germany. We love Germany so much that we're going back for the third time this Autumn to enjoy the Mosel and beyond.

Both times weve been, weve had an ambitious itinerary and both times have thrown it away because Germany, IMO, is too nice to hurry through.
Jul 11th, 2007, 08:39 AM

I second the tip to see the Berchtesgaden area. Really beautiful!
Jul 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

I am second guessing Baden Baden. I did not want to do the spa naked but know I understand that one is bathing suit.

Thanks for your replies. I will investigate Berchesgarten!

Any advise on how many days at each location if this is quite a bit to fit into 12 days. I am thinking about cutting out Amsterdam.
Jul 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM

>I am thinking about cutting out Amsterdam.<

That would be wise; also substitute Bamberg for Heidleburg. Eliminate the Black Forest as well (even though my wife's from there).

I feel that you're trying to cover too much territory in your 12 days. Therefore I think you should try to limit the scope to the Romantic Road aspect and Bavaria. That'd be a most relaxing and "fantastic vacation" IMO.