southwestern to northwester germany?

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
southwestern to northwester germany?

first off thanks to everyone who chipped in some info. on my last trip to austria, germany and switzerland. worked out perfect. i'm going on a honeymoon the first two weeks of august (07) and will use this as an excuse to go back to germany. i would like to see the southwestern part of germany up to Bonn. any advice as far as must see's in germany and/or in denmark. thanks again.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:02 AM

Hi zobtraffic,

with two weeks to go, I'd probably do a round trip along the Romantic Road, Bodensee/Lake of Constance, Black Forest, including a jump across the border to Northern Switzerland and/or Alsace, then up North along the Rhine via Freiburg, Baden-Baden and Heidelberg to the Upper Middle Rhine Valley (the part with the castles), Mosel valley and then to Bonn. Easiest by car, but doable by train, too. (I assume yxou're flying into Frankfurt?)

Yeah I know, some people here would do this in four days, but IMHO there is more than enough to do and see along that route to keep you busy for a month.

This tour will give you a good impression of the Southwest. A lot depends on your interests. Could you tell us a bit more about what you two like to do and see during your trip?

By the way, you're talking to a local here, i.e. to an art historian living in Karlsruhe. So feel free to ask more specific questions.

Kathrin
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
hsv

May I inquire whether you are interested in Southwestern Germany (then quokka's itinerary makes a lot of sense) or South- and Northwestern Germany?

I would not consider Bonn to be located in Northwestern Germany. The Northwest would begin somewhere in the Emden/Bremen area and reach up to the state of Schleswig-Holstein (which borders Denmark). You might want to elaborate on your plans, so people might come up with an itinerary geared towards your interestes and envisioned routing.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

i want this to be a very cultural/romantic trip for our honeymoon. i've a few leads for great wine towns (more leads are always appreciated) but have been told to follow the rhine. to be honest i'm trying to get an "I recommend this small cultural town" type of thing so as to get a blueprint. i will end up flying into frank...and flying out of munchen...love that town (i know i asked for small towns but ya gotta admit...munich is great)_. so any "hey, i've got this great little town with a great winery...museum..music...castle"would be sooooooooooo appreciated...thanks
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 03:35 PM

You might want to take a look at the Michelin Green Guide for Germany. It offers two circuits covering southwestern Germany from the Swiss border to Köln. Each circuit is for 8 days, but you probably could modify them for a 14 day trip.