Search

Germany help needed-Mosel/Rhine/and No. Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany help needed-Mosel/Rhine/and No. Germany

I need advice for the following dilemna:

I arrive in Frankfurt on 9/25. I need to be in Hamburg on 10/1 which gives me about 5 nights to fill before I arrive in Hamburg. I prefer to head in a north/west direction. Once in Hamburg I will have about 3 days to visit.

Should I spend my time around the Mosel and head up to Hamburg on 10/1 or should I go straight to Hamburg and spend my time around the towns there.

I prefer the smaller towns and I was thinking of Bremen and environs or the small towns around Hamburg.

I also need a suggestion for the first night stay which be no longer than 2 hours from Frankfurt. Driving after being on the plane for over 15 hours is not fun.

Please provide any suggestions you might have.

Thanks. Gail
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:12 PM
aggiemom

Bringing this to the top to see if anyone can help Gail.

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
aggiemom

Hi Gail -

Don't know where all the Germany experts are!

Well, I'll try to help, but I'm sure others are more knowledgeable about the area than I am.

I was in Germany for the first time in May this year. We stayed two nights in the Mosel area at Hotel Haus Lipmann. The hotel (85€ per night for two people including a huge breakfast) and the area were wonderful. Wished we had more time there. Very quiet. There is a spectacular castle nearby called Burg Eltz that you should not miss if you are in the area.

We went through the Rhine area via the train and that area was more built up, and busy but also very lovely. Lots of castles line the Rhine all along the way. I will definitely spend time there on our next trip.

I have never been to Hamburg or Bremen so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else can....

aggie

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM
hsv

If you'd specify your particular interests, I might be able to be of some help, although I rather have some knowledge on Hamburg and surroundings than on the Mosel area.

However, I should think that 3 days in Hamburg at that time of year should be sufficient. The area on the Rhine close to Frankfurt called Rheingau is very pleasant, so you might want to devote two days to that area.
You could then idle North, spend a day in Bremen, which should be sufficient, and then proceed to Hamburg.
Close to Hamburg (about 40 miles to the Northeast), there is Luebeck featuring an impressively restored medieval Old Town. It might well be worth a day trip.

I'll try to provide some further assistance on Hamburg once you specify your interests!

Enjoy your trip!
hsv
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:29 AM

We also stayed at Hotel Haus Lipman in Beilstein (it is the one on the river at Marktplatz 3.)Our rate was also 85€. I highly recommend it. The food was excellent and the Lipman's were delightful. We flew into Frankfurt and drove right over to Beilstein.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:09 AM

You might want to spend a night or two in Rothenberg on your way to the Rhine. You might also consider seeing the Mosel valley or the Necker valley. Lots fo castles and great sightseeing.