Suggestion for a week in Germany??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow Fodorites! My girlfriend and I are flying in to Frankfurt for a weeks stay in Germany in late September. We are staying with a friend who just recently moved to Germany. I'm looking for suggestions for what to do in a week's time. Our friend is so new to Germany I'm afraid she might not know either.

We are typical travelers who like visiting historical stuff, good dining, and maybe even a romantic thing or two. We wouldn't be opposed to traveling outside of Germany and staying in a hotel if need be. Traveling a little distance would be ok, but we don't want to spend our whole week on a train or in a car.

Any suggestions out there??
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 06:21 PM

Germany is a big country. What areas are you looking to stay? You could spend a week touring the Rhine and Mosel River areas, or the Bavarian area. What are your interests? That would certainly help others in suggesting places to go/visit.

In which city is your friend living in? That would certainly help as I am sure you would probably want to do day trips from there or not?
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We are staying in Schweinfurt (spelling?). We both love sports. We also like historic items such as old arcitecture, castles, etc. My girlfriend also enjoys beautiful outdoor scenery too. I'd love an opportunity to go to a special spot for a special occasion. A once in a lifetime occassion if you know what I mean.! Does this help?
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 08:04 PM
rex

<<A once in a lifetime occassion if you know what I mean.!>>

Don't want to make this sound like an inter-generational (language) attack.... but

"if you know what I mean" - - is a good way for us NOT to know what you mean.

A once in a lifetime occasion for you, for me, for my children, for my father or grandmother are very different things. Many of the folks who enjoy this forum regularly strongly encourage travel to Europe as if it is simply the &quot;next&quot; (or first) in what will hopefully be a lifetime of travel to other countries. On a one-week trip to Germany, what could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me <i>might</i> be doing something I am very unlikely to do otherwise, in Europe or elsewhere... go mountaineering, or drive a Formula 1 race car (both could be part of some people's trips to Germany).

Or it might be a &quot;side trip&quot; to a place not likely to be on my short list of the next ten places I would like to visit. From central Germany, there are low cost flights to Turkey, Mallorca, and Croatia, just to name a few.

I don't actually recommend that you do any of these things. I think you should stay in Germany. If you are over 21, I recommend that you rent a car, unless your friend has one, and has the time and inclination to go exploring with you (i.e., no work obligations while you are there).

From Schweinfurt, the close destinations likely to appeal to a lot of travelers are Wurzburg and Bamberg - - but you are not all that far from many other interesting places, in virtually 360 degrees around Schweinfurt. Heidelberg, Stuttgart, Ulm, Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Weimar are just a few that jump out at me. I am less familiar with Coburg, Nuremberg, Bayreuth or Regensburg - - but you can likely find info on those places with use of the search function here.

May I apologize for what must sound like a scolding tone at the top of this reply? - - and politely suggest that you need the best, fattest general guide book to Germany you can find at the biggest public library or bookstore near you. Ordinarily, I recommend reading it cover to cover, like a novel. In your case, I think you should do focused reading about areas in concentric circles to Schweinfurt. I wouldn't get too distracted reading about Munich, the &quot;Mad Ludwig&quot; castles (to the south and east), Berlin (to the north and east), Aachen and Cologne (to the north and west) or the Burg Eltz, Trier/Mosel valley or the Black Forest (to the south and west). You don't need to go all that far to make a great introductory trip to Germany.

Hopefully, none of this will seem all too &quot;once in a lifetime&quot; to you - - as you catch the bug to return to Europe again and again.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Rex, lighten up! I'm thinking that Euroworm's &quot;once in a lifetime occassion&quot; is proposing marriage! He's probably a little bit skittish about the occasion.

However, Euroworm, you DO need to do a little research. For scenic opportunities, look on the web for pictures of the Rhine and Mosel rivers. Lots of castles, ruins and restored. Do a search here for Schoenburg Castle. The website is http://www.hotel-schoenburg.com.

Other popular places and equally as beautiful are the areas/castles around Fussen and the historic town of Rotherburg ob tauber.

Good Luck,
Marla
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:33 AM

ttt
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:24 AM
rex

If that is what was meant by &quot;once in a lifetime&quot; - - well, then it certainly went over my head.

It was actually my old-fogey reaction to &quot;knowhuddimean&quot; - - an expression that ensures that people do NOT know what you mean.

Anyhow, I did apologize for the possibility that my tone was too scolding.

How, exactly, do you relate a pet peeve - - and still say it as <i>constructive</i> criticism?
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:37 AM

I took my girlfriend to Heidelberg, we loved it. Orsome setting lots of hills the river and huge castle up on the hill. Lovely areas to walk around and drink, shop and eat (all free from traffic in the main areas) and great people also!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Hi Rex,

Maybe Euroworm will come back and let us know what he's up to! I, too, have a problem with certain phrases and I understand your pet peeve issues! It reminds me of the Drew Carrey show &quot;Who's line Is It Anyway&quot;. They do a skit entitled &quot;If You Know What I Mean&quot; and it drives me crazy!

Marla
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

This is too weird. I have a sister named Marla. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are not her. Yes, the proposal thing is accurate, but only if I can make it special. Apparently I PO'ed Rex, and for that I'm sorry. But, I appreciate everyone's input. I will start looking ASAP for things mentioned. Any more thoughts would be great!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:43 PM
rex

...not &quot;PO'ed&quot; - - just like to see that phrase curtailed in the current vernacular.

Anyhow, I was hoping that I tempered my little rant with some info and advice that could prove useful to you, however you are intending to approach your further planning of this trip.

Enjoy (and do tell us more of what DO you mean!)
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 04:29 AM

I haven't spent a lot of time in Germany, so I can't compare different regions. However, I can advise you that my boyfriend and I just returned from a wonderful short trip along the Mosel River. We rented a car in Bonn (where I had other business) and drove down to the river and then wandered up and down each side of it, taking in Trier (an interesting Roman city), small villages, Cochem etc. We stayed in castle with a starred Michelin restaurant on the first night, half-way between Bonn and the river valley.
In late September, they might be harvesting grapes - good news (fascinating to watch, lively) and bad news (probably quite crowded, so save your trip for a weekday period and book hotels well in advance). This would also be a great place to cycle: wide, flat bike paths along the river (which is not very wide), with steep paths and vineyards on either side. You can stay on the flat surface or take to the steep hills for a workout and some thrills, and tiny villages pop up about every 10 minutes. I much preferred the smaller, quainter scale of the Mosel river valley to the Rhine river valley (very wide, more industrial and I think rather bombed out during the war, while the Mosel valley suffered less damage). I found a great guidebook focusing on wine and food in this region - I could look up the name for you if you want.

We also spent three nights in Berlin, which was also wonderful (but quite a different experience). We can hardly wait to go back.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Message to Kate W: My partner and I are trying to decide between spending two nights (next June) along the Rhine or the Mosel (which sounds lovely, according to your description). Did you spend the night in a Mosel village? If so, I'd love to know the name of the hotel/B&amp;B, etc. and your impression. Also, I would like the name of the guidebook you referred to that discussed the area's wine/food. Thanks for any information.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:54 AM

moatenote--if you want a very quiet small village, I can recommend Beilstein. Hotel Haus Lipmann is excellent for the price--ask for a room overlooking the river. It has a wonderful restaurant where you can dine indoors or outdoors under a grape over while you watch the river flow by. Free parking and breakfast. Interesting, English-speaking manager.

Now, no Mosel River town is noted for its nightlife, however, Beilstein is very small, so if you need some variety in places to drink and party in the evening, you might want to try one of the larger towns. However, if you want a charming, quaint little place that is very relaxing in the evening (and does not have railroad trains making noise throughout the day), then Beilstein would be ideal. Beilstein does have an interesting church and ruined castle on the hill overhead. Tour boat service stops in the town as well.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Just head to Bavaria....Berchtesgaden. Visit there then drive over to Garmisch for the castles. Visit Oberammergau and then Neuschwanstein. This is the really beautiful area of Germany and you will not be disappointed.

I do tend to agree with Rex. You gotta do a little reading and research on your own to nail down the area you would be interested in seeing in any country.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 10:19 AM

I'd get a car and drive to Baden Baden, then to Frieburg, then to Bodensee, then to the Neuschwanstein castle, then to Munich, then to Regensburg, Bamberg and back to Frankfurt.

That would be a killer trip.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Geez, Rex, was your mind in the gutter today or what?!?

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Euroworm - I proposed to my wife of 20 years on the Marienbrucke above Neuschwanstein Castle in Southern Germany (near Fussen). It was snowing at the time and both romantic and frightening (for a number of reasons). The Marienbrucke is a rather small suspension bridge across a deep gorge. It's up to you to figure out what was the most frightening thing for me.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:04 PM

euroworm- do not be too upset with Rex. I too might be a little grumpy at midnight after a wild night in downtown Floyds Knobs. As usuual, however, his advice is on target. I assume your friend is in the military and you are mostly interested in day trips by car If so you are ideally located. Bamberg is only 30 minutes away and both Wurzburg,Rothenburg and Nuremburg are only about an hours drive away and within about 2 hours you can be in Heidelberg or Schwabisch Hall - all of which are worth day trips. No need to travel all over Germany - Save Bavaria and the Rhineland for a later visit. You might want to check the WWII history of Schweinfurt on
&quot;thirdreichruins.com&quot; and learn a little bit about &quot;Black Thursday&quot;. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Hello Euroworm,

No, I'm not your sister! Both of my brothers are married --- last I checked.

Good luck on the proposal. We leave for Germany September 17th - maybe we'll be there at the same time. I'll be looking for an American down on his knees!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -