Pre-book Venice water taxi, or wing it?

Jul 9th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Pre-book Venice water taxi, or wing it?

I am getting prices of 140 Euros to pre-book a water taxi. If I just get to the water taxi dock from the airport, does anyone(with recent experience) know if it's still in that price range? I am going to La Calcina.
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:26 AM

No, but I got the Alilaguna boat 9 days ago for €12. The Zattere stop is one minute's walk from La Calcina where we also stayed.
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Caroline, how long did it tke to get there?
I am just worried that after an overnight flight from Toronto- Frankfurt, 4 hour wait in Frankfurt, then flight to Venice, with 2 large and 2 small suitcases, that we'll JUST WANNA GET THERE!!!AND FAST!
How did you like La Calcina? Dine there? Any restaurants you'd recommend?
Thanks, Marian
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:41 AM

140 euros is way too high--someone is getting a nice cut of that. Shouldn't be more than 90-100 euro unless something has changed big time in the last couple of months. We've never had trouble getting a water taxi upon arrival at the airport, though I suppose if there's some big convention in town there could be some delay.
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Just go to the desk for the water taxis at the airport, (clearly marked)tell them where your are going, pay the 90 €, they will give you a receipt. Walk down to the water taxi dock, give the driver your receipt and off you go. Very simple and a beautiful way to arrive in Venice, IMO.
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:58 AM

It was supposed to take an hour and 20 minutes but only took an hour and 5 minutes. If you do decide to do that, make sure you get a boat which is going to Zattere - some don't.

Something else I should perhaps mention is that it is a 10-15 minute walk to the dock for both the Alilaguna boat & watertaxis, so take a trolley !

Due to a series of unfortunate incidents we didn't arrive until midnight but still didn't consider forking out for a water taxi.

We love La Calcina - have stayed there before & will stay there again. We only ate there one night but it was very good. The restaurant seems to have become more ambitious & a bit pricier since our last visit (and you need to book) - we paid €105, I think (2 antipasti, 1 primo, 1 secondo, 2 sgroppine, 2 x 1/2 bottle wine, bottle water) but it was worth it.
Jul 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Ralstonlan,

was that 90 Euros recently? I know I have read 90-100 in several places, but the posted rate to pre-book is 140.
Thanks.
Jul 9th, 2007, 05:15 AM

2007 prices might be higher than 2006 prices.

We reserved a private water taxi to take 10 of us plus one piece of luggage each from the airport dock to Ca' Rezzonico fondamenta (which I believe is closer to the aiport than the Zattere).

The cost including a "tip" was 130 euro in June, 2006. For us. having four children in the group, the cost was well worth it, after a flight from JFK into Venice.
Jul 9th, 2007, 06:52 AM

\tropicalkerry

It was August 2006, but I can't imagine it has gone up that much.
We have done this three times, and it was never necessarty to pre-book.

Hope this helps.
Jul 9th, 2007, 10:05 AM

tropicalkerry--posted where?
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

http://www.veniceguideandboat.it/transferapt.htm

is the site given recently on another thread on this subject. 140 Euros
Jul 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM

that seems really too high- they run pretty frequently i recall the 70 euro range a few years back-also you can share the ride with someone if your group is not too large-also most rides like that and the gondolas are negotiable
Jul 9th, 2007, 02:49 PM

We used this site in May of this year and we paid 95 euros minus a 5 euro discount for signing up for the return trip. I see since then they have increased their price according to the site to 145 euros! Don't know if that is truly worth that much. We split our taxi with our friends, a 3 way split, so paying 30 euros for my wife and I didn't seem like a bad deal. Can't see paying the 145 euro price though. But again, if money is no object, why not!
We also stayed at La Calcina and loved it. Absolutely great location away from the crowds. You will not be disappointed.
Dave
Jul 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi again DinPa,

Glad to hear you loved La Calcina!
I found a water taxi site that states 95 Euros:

http://www.venicewelcome.com/servizi...i-form-ing.htm

I have contacted them, and am waiting to hear back if this STILL the price. I will let EVERYONE know their reply.

This seems reasonable to me, like a limo to the airport from where I live...well maybe a RETURN trip to the airport, but at least under 100E sounds less painful!

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Jul 9th, 2007, 03:50 PM

I "booked" a water taxi on the spot at the Venice airport a year or so ago, and it was in the 70-80euro range. As noted above, it's a little walk to the boat dock.

This last trip (just back a week ago) I happily took the blue bus for 3 euros; they put my bag underneath, I paid the driver; they drove to P. Roma and then I took the vaporetto to my locanda. 20 minutes to P. Roma. another 15 minutes on the vap. I would go this way again, even after the all nighter from JFK which I had just taken.
Jul 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM

the bus is a good deal and a very smooth connection. Cant see the virtue of fussing with a water taxi unless you need to be dropped at your door.
Jul 9th, 2007, 06:01 PM

We were in Venice 2 weeks ago and just walked down to the dock and easily found a water taxi to take us to Corte Grimani near St. Marks for 90 Euro!

Initially, I was worried and did call to book ahead, but was quoted 110 Euro, so we decided to take our chances. Good thing since there were plenty of water taxis just waiting for business and cheaper!
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:47 PM

"Cant see the virtue of fussing with a water taxi unless you need to be dropped at your door."

The nearest jetty to La Calcina, which is where I think a watertaxi would drop you, is that used by the Alilaguna boat (Zattere stop). So you've got exactly the same walk at both ends whether you use Alilaguna or a water taxi.
Jul 10th, 2007, 02:26 AM

The water taxi drops you off right at La Calcina. When you enter La Calcina, look out the window to your right and you will see where the taxi lets you off. Approximately 15 feet away from the door.
Dave
Jul 10th, 2007, 02:36 AM

<"Cant see the virtue of fussing with a water taxi unless you need to be dropped at your door." >

fussing??? come out of airport, walk a little bit, climb in boat, they handle your luggage on and off boat, it drops you at the door AND you get to enter Venice by going up grand canal in your own private boat. fussing??? If you have the money, it is the best way to go. fussing??? no on and off a bus, no on and off a vaporetto, no walking the last 200 yards (or more). fussing???

<The nearest jetty to La Calcina, which is where I think a watertaxi would drop you...>

If you haven't done it, don't give incorrect facts. People on this board are looking for correct info.
Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO