Question re type of seats in AVE train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iwas in the AVE train a few years ago in tourist class and remember the train was packed and it was a very tight seating arrangement( 2 seats facing another 2 seats and a table in between ).
Can anybody tell me how different are the 1st class seating arrangements and if the seats are wider than in tourist? My father, who is in his 80's, wants to take the AVE and I would like to be able to advice him as to the difference between the seats.

Thanks
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM

You may want to post this under the "Spain" heading to see if any of the experts there can help you out.

I was recently on the Renfe website (we are taking the AVE from Madrid to Sevilla R/T this May), but I can't really answer your question. For what it's worth, I did learn that Club and Preferente classes get free meals, snacks and drinks throughout the trip.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:08 PM

Oops -- I guess you did. Sorry -- I ran across this under Europe. Good luck with your question.

I think I should do more reading and less typing on this forum today ;-).
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

THanks Molly,

I thought I had marked that I wanted the post under the Spain heading. Maybe it didn't take.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Topping this hoping that somebody that has experience with the AVE can answer!

Thanks
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:44 AM

AVE trains have the following seat configurations:
Coach 1 Club Car 30 seats - one seat on one side of the aisle and two seats on the other side of the aisle with seats facing each other except for the first and last rows where there is no seats facing each other - the club car also has eight club seats - four seats along each window facing each other that is separated from the rest of the car
Coach 2 & 3 Preferente 39 seats each car, the same as Club but 39 seats and without the club part
coach 4 Buffet Car 39 seats
Coach 5, 6, 7 Turista 56 seats - two on each side of aisle facing each other
Coach 8 Turista 44 seats + 1 Handicapped person space.
thus for the most room chose Club - more room between seats
then preferente, both of these would be considered first class
Turista the much more crammed seats you talk about.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

PalQ,

Thank You so much for your detailed response! It's very helpful.
Just so I'm sure, the seats in Club section are the same size of Preferente but there is more space between rows?

Again, thanks
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Glad your question was answered in such detail.

Just a note--there is no Spain section or a section for any other country. Just Europe and no matter which country you post about, it will appear under Europe. This seems to be confusing for newcomers, so thought I would mention it.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:20 AM

At times, Renfe will have a 'special' called 'Club Duo' which offers Club Service at pretty much the same price as 'Preferente' for two people travelling together. It's a great deal!

Sometimes they tell about it on their WebSite; sometimes they don't. Ask for it when you go to buy your AVE tickets. All they can tell you is: 'Not available.'

I have taken AVE about 10-times between Madrid & Sevilla since its inception in 1992 (mostly Turista). The legroom in Turista is about what it is in Business Class on an airline: I am 6'1" and weigh 250 and I've never had any problem.
BTW
Thanks, PalQ for that detailed layout of AVE trains: once, we were in Turista and the seat configuration was two on one side and one on the other. Is that the way car # 8 is configured??
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Nedsireland,

Thanks for your comments. Maybe it has to do with the coach car you're assigned to? The one we were in clase turista coming from Sevilla to Madrid was as the car # 5, 6, 7 that PalQ describes. I'm 5'4 and I remember having to make a conscious effort for my legs not to touch the passenger in front!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM

nedsireland
coach 8 in my diagram from AVE shows two seats by two seats with the exception of the last two rows of two seats which are opposite the handicapped space - it may be that a first class car was substituted on your train for a second class car for some reason.
As for above question about more leg room in club car - yes more room between seats and i show a table also between each row of seats that face each other.