Search

Question for Kaudrey????

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Kaudrey????

Hi there,
I have a double room reservation at the end of May at Hostal Palacio, and have been awaiting your report. Just read your in-brief report. Thanks!
Was wondering, was your room quiet? Do you have any suggestion of which room should I request? How was the breakfast? The website's pictures looked lovely, does the place live up to the pics? More importantly, were the beds comfy, and was it clean? Thanks again and would love to have any input on restaurants, and places to see, etc.
And yes, we will be flying into Madrid the morning of May 22. (Staying for 4 days) Have you heard if the wedding is going to close down the city???? I imagine the traffic will be insane, any knowledge??
Happy trails,
NY Critter
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:51 AM

Hi!

What a surprise to see my name in a heading!

I'm working on the trip report, that nasty thing called a job is getting in the way, but I'll get there in a few days.

In the meantime, to answer your questions:

Hostal Palacios is on the first floor (meaning the second floor to us) of a typical older European building. You either take the stairs or elevator to the first floor, and enter a door with it's name on it, and you enter into a room with a stand alone desk where the reception is. It basically looks like a house.

To get to my room, I walked through another door into the lounge, - it had a couch and chairs around a fireplace and a desk with a computer on it for internet access. There were several rooms off of this room. If you look at the pictures on the website, my room, room 105, was BEHIND the fireplace in the lounge- you can see there is a hallway there. I think the picture of the "single room" on the website was my room.

Although I couldn't tell, since my room was on that floor and I never had to venture farther, I think they also have rooms on the second floor.

My room was quiet because it overlooked an alley. Since the Hostal is on Rambla de Catalunya, a big, busy street, you may want to ask for a room that doesn't overlook the street - but then expect nothing in the way of a view. That was fine with me, I was only there in the dark anyway!

My bed was perfectly comfy, the place was very clean, had good water pressure, and a hairdryer in the room.

I didn't eat breakfast there. It is not included in the price, and it is cheaper and more fun to eat in a cafe.

For restaurants, on Rambla Catalunya up toward Placa Catalunya and on the opposite side of the street from the hotel is a place called the Trabador. I had a great meal there, and didn't realize until later that it was one of Maribel's suggestions! It is kind of new-age/modern looking.

I also had good tapas in Cuidad Condal, address Rambla De Catalunya 18, near the corner of Gran Via, a block from the hotel. It's a big, busy place, with yummy food.

I don't know what Madrid will be like around the wedding, but the Palacio Real and the church next door will be closed, since that's where the wedding is.

Trip report coming soon, I promise.

Karen
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Hi Karen and NYCritter,

NYCritter, I'm from NYC -- are you? My husband and I are staying at the Hostal Palacios on May 24th and 25th, and heading to Madrid on the 26th. What wedding are you talking about? Karen, thanks for all the info -- it certainly sounds like a nice place to stay in Barcelona.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Karen!
Really appreciate your reply, and all the info you're taking the time to pass along. Look forward to reading your full report!!
We are so looking forward to this trip. I have been engrossed in Spanish language CDs (Pimsleur Spanish II, great program)and reading up on Spain as much as I can.

Rachele, sorry to say, we'll just miss each other. Ironically, when you are in Barcelona, we will be in Madrid. We won't be arriving in Barcelona until the evening of the 27th. Oh and your question: now I live north of the City, in the Hudson Valley. After 25 years in Manhattan, 5 years back I had had enough. Needed to see trees.... (smile)
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:15 PM

You are welcome - I have posted the first part of my trip report.

Rachele - Prince Felipe is getting married on May 22.

Happy travels! You will love Spain!

Karen