Question about venues in Paris!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone familiar with either "GRAND REX" or "LA BOULE NOIR" concert venues in Paris? We are planning a short (2 night) visit in Paris this March. While there we will be seeing David Gilmour at GRAND REX and Umphrey's McGee at LA BOULE NOIR. I am having trouble finding information on these venues, their location in the city and possible hotels near either place. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Le Grand Rex is located at 1, blvd Poissonnière, 75002, Paris. Métro: Bonne Nouvelle. We took a guided tour of the Art-Deco building last year, but haven't been there for a concert. There's a website, with parts of it in English. Here's the URL:
http://www.legrandrex.com/

We've not been to La Boule Noire, but it's located at 120 blvd Rochechouart, 75018, Paris. Phone: 01.49.25.81.75. Métro: Anvers or Pigalle
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the addresses. Now I can at least map them and figure out what neighborhood to book a hotel in. For the sake of searches, are these theaters/venues considered near the Louvre or Theater district? Any hotel suggestions?
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Any comments on these hotels....
Emeraude Hotel Des Victoires
Timhotel Palais Royal Louvre
Victoires Opera
Citadines Apart'hotel Opera Grands Boulevards
???
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM

I wouldn't choose lodging based on proximity to the theater. The Metro. or a cab, can take you quickly from one to the other. And those addresses aren't especially popular with visitors to the city.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 03:34 AM

You don't need a hotel near these venues; that's what the Métro is for.

Neither venue is in a district with a good selection of hotels. Le Grand Rex is well to the east of the Opéra Garnier, somewhat near the north of the garment district. La Boule Noire is in Pigalle.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:30 AM

Yes, I've been to concerts at both venues.

The Grand Rex is an old fashioned venue with theatre style seating. I think there's a balcony too. It's quite big and impersonal as a concert venue, but you get good views of the stage.

La Boule Noire is much smaller - it's the "little sister" venue to la Cigale, which is located next door to it on Boulevard Rochechouart. It's smaller, smokier and it's unlikely that there'll be seating.

I prefer smaller venues for concerts so I like La Boule Noire.

As others have said, both venues are easily accessed via metro or bus, so there's no particular need to book a hotel in the vicinity.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Excellent. This info is all very helpful. We'll only be in Paris for two nights, so I assumed it would just be easier to stay near the venues and travel out via the Metro during the day. If those areas are not recommended, is there an area of the city that would be the best to stay in for such a short visit?

Hanl, by chance do you know the capacity of La Boule Noire? We also prefer smaller, intimate venues.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Bisco, I think the capacity for the Boule Noire is about 300.

Just make sure you get the right door and don't end up queuing to get into the Cigale next door, by mistake!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

That is priceless advice. Thank you. Do you know how to purchase tickets for the venue? We'd like to attend the Umphrey's McGee show there on March 16th. I have not been able to purchase them through the band yet and I'm worried about the small capacity. I have no idea what size crowd they would bring in Paris.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM

I didn't even know they did concerts at the Grand Rex, I thought it was just cinema. I like small venues also, and usually get my tickets online from FNAC (www.fnac.fr). Then, I pick them up at one of their places in Paris.

They do have tickets to that event, I checked--they are 19.8 euro. Be sure to take your email confirmation to you to FNAC with a confirmation number as they can get a little confused if you don't and they say they can't search just by your name(at least that's what they told me, although a different clerk later managed to find my tickets).

Just go to the fnac website and under spactacles put "mcgee" in the search box and it shows up. If you don't know French, try www.ticketnet.fr
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:37 PM

When I purchased tickets last year through FNAC online, they asked for the credit card I used, swiped it, and found my tickets instantly. Then, they print them.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM

PS If you're looking for a conveniently located place to stay at moderate prices, check out Hotel Langlois. We loved that place! (Especially the view of Sacre Coeur from our window.) It's about 1/2 mile south walking from La Boule Noire, or two metro stops (on the same line) and would take only one transfer to get you to Bonne Nouvelle (by Le Grand Rex).

I was pleasantly surprised by the neighborhood (just east of Gare St-Lazare, which has been completely redone), cafes, places to dine (mostly inexpensively) all about, along with the usual conveniences (pharmacies, camera shop, phone store, etc.).

And, FNAC has a branch in a brand new (gorgeous) indoor mall sort of place just a couple of blocks west (at 109 rue Saint-Lazare).

If you do stay in the vicinity, or even if you don't - high recommend Bistro des Deux Théâtres (they have a website) for before or after La Boule Noire.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Got the tickets!!! So excited! We're grateful for your help. Now we're researching hotels and breweries/bars/etc for the short two night stay in Paris.... will look into the Hotel Langlois. Others?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM

I am going to Paris for my 50th birthday - which is March 15th. I am hoping to get some tickets for the sold out David Gilmour show at Le Grand Rex on the 15th. I have only found one website with tickets and they are $300 US dollars each! Any suggestions on where I can get tickets? Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

We found ours at face value on ebay awhile back. We got very lucky.