Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about storing luggage somewhere while visiting another country?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking a trip to France and Italy in the next couple of weeks and during our planning discovered that we might not be able to bring all of our luggage with us on a few of the smaller airplanes between the two countries. Size and weight restrictions might be our bane so we would like to store our luggage somewhere in Paris while we are in Italy. (We will be returning to Paris the last few days of our trip and will pick it up again then).

Due to terrorist concerns, apparently we are no longer allowed to store luggage at rail terminals or airports. (Correct me if I'm wrong since my husband did the research on this). So, other than begging our Paris hotel to keep the luggage for a week, are there any other options? Especially since we may not be staying in the same hotel on our return visit. Thanks so much!

Katie
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:51 PM
rex

Wherever you stored it, you'd surely need/want to pay or tip for being able to entrust your belongings for that time away.

I'd just buck up and pay the (surely modest) fees to take it all with you and back. How much money (difference) could it possibly be!?

Couldn't be any better incentive to packing light(er)!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:11 PM

It wouldn't necessarily be a modest fee if kelisaw and spouse are flying on a low-cost carrier that charges 5 pounds/kilogram for each kilo over the limit (I don't recall the exact price, but it's something like that).

If it's at all possible, I would try to reduce the amount of luggage taken. Even Ryanair has perfectly reasonable restrictions, in my opinion, for all but the most demanding itineraries.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Assuming that you are staying at the same hotel in Paris at the beginning and end of your trip, I would ask them if it is possible for them to hold it for you. I would be really, really nice about asking and offer to pay any fee involved.

If they absolutely cannot do it, I would ask them if they can suggest any other solution to your problem.

Both overweight fees and left luggage are likely to be quite costly. The last time I left luggage in a London train station, for only a few hours, it cost me about $10 for one small bag. A week would be quite expensive.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:25 PM

How much luggage are you bringing with you that you couldn't take it all along. Anyway, there are left luggage facilities at major train stations in paris. Suggest you just pack lighter however.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:09 PM

You haven't been able to store luggage in the airports in Paris for years, as I recall. As far as I know, you can at the main train stations, though. Where did your husband get the info that you can't? I was just in Gare Montparnasse about a month ago, and I think the baggage check places were operational, as usual, although I'll admit I didn't go in and question them or check it out thoroughly. All the signs and everything said they were. I thought even Ryanair allowed 33 pounds before excess charges, and that is quite a bit.

I don't see anything wrong with begging if you need it, but I think there are better ways to approach this -- such as asking the hotel ahead of time and offering to pay for it, and explaining some unusual circumstances. I wouldn't if I were them, I'll admit, since they aren't a baggage storage service and you are going elsewhere afterwards. If you were a wellknown repeat customer, I think they might. But it would make more sense to just ask them and know what you have to do ahead of time.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:41 PM

I agree that your Paris hotel will take care of it. The French especially will go to great lenghts to be helpful if approached politely. Something like "Je suis desole de vous derange mais j'ai une problem..." Or you could just send them an email. By the way, while I try to pack light also, each person has their own opinion or special need. For example, I have to take a heavy traction device which probably weighs as much as the rest of my luggage. Enjoy Paris.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
By staying in the same hotel, beginning and end of trip might solve the problem. Follow advice above. A private hotel storing bags would most likely be a lot more flexible than airport or train station situations.