Question about Spain

Old Feb 18th, 2021, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Spain

Hi all, a few months back I was in Spain and travelling home through the airport. The airport was quiet and no ques for security. At security they had those que barrier things that zig zag to manage long ques. There were loads of these and as there were no people, myself and some other passengers ducked underneath them to get to security quicker. A policeman standing there singled me out and began shouting at me, obviously it was not ok to duck under the barriers. He pulled me aside, continued to shout at me and then took my passport. He wrote my passport details down and then let me carry on through security.
It seems silly to ask as the whole thing was so silly but why did he take my passport details? And if I return to Spain will it be an issue going through passport control. I wasn't arrested or anything as it was such a silly thing, but I do still wonder what was the reason for taking my passport details and will it have any repercussions if I return to Spain. Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed on this silly situation 😊
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 09:17 AM

Just a bored silly man, forget it.
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
Just a bored silly man, forget it.
Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 03:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An over officious, bored airport guard with nothing better to do. The passport thing was just to frighten you as I can't see you'd be in any trouble for ducking under a barrier. Forget it and him, as I'm sure he's already forgotten it.
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 01:00 PM

I was also shouted at for ducking under a tape in an airport in Australia when there was absolutely no-one else around apart from me and my DH. When I politely asked why, the excuse was that I might hurt myself going under the barrier. "Why then", I asked "did you insist that I go back under it and get back into the non-existent line?" TBF she admitted that that didn't make any sense, but I bet it didn't stop her doing it.
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 08:15 PM

In my experience Spanish airport security is more rigorous than most other European countries. Maybe it's related to past terrorism or maybe it's something else. When I fly I've learned to pack all my cables (phone,camera,computer) into its own little bag and pull it out before the scanner. If not I risk the bomb squad. Not quite but long delays while they try and figure out what all those cables are .

They took your passport to ID you. There is the risk you weren't a simple passenger but somebody trying to sneak past security.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 08:26 AM

I often end up in European airports with a bike in bits trying to put it together. Normally security just leave you alone, but in Girona (Spain) I was told off and made to drag the carcass out of the airport. I think I was making the place look messy.