Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I just give up on a land tour in Sicily in May?

Old Feb 20th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had to cancel last year, a 12 day land tour of Sicily, plus a few days pre- and post-. Now, I'm thinking that this Covid thing is not going to go away to the extent we'll be free to travel, and that most venues re-opened. We will have our shots, but that does not equal a "free to travel passport." I could be making other plans to travel in the USA, still have some bucket lists right here at home. Grrr! Just frustrating.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 03:30 PM

If that's May 2021, then personally, I wouldn't go.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 03:49 PM

The best resource for this kind of up to the minute information re Sicily is the TripAdvisor Sicily forum. Vagabonda and other locals will steer you right.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Yep! 2021. My head is telling me that. I like your name, "dreamon." Very apropos for these times.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Ok, bon, I'll check that out. Thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 05:47 PM

The Italian government has yet to announce a date that U.S. travelers will be allowed to enter the country.

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 07:20 PM

What about September or early October ? I was hoping for July but have decided there’s a much better chance of making a trip in late fall. Sicily should still be pleasant that time of year. Not planning on Sicily but am considering Italy.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 10:56 PM

Hi BillJ,

Remember that vaccine rollout in Europe has been painfully, awfully slow. The majority of the population in Europe may not be vaccinated until late fall -- or at least that's what they're telling us in Germany. Because of that, there may still be a requirement for international travellers to quarantine in May (unless there is some kind of vaccination passport in use...). Indeed, the Oktoberfest may be canceled yet again this year, a source of around 1 billion euro of income, so cancelling again would be tragic. They may not decide to open or cancel until May or June.... so your May trip seems to be too early.

Hope you get to go!

s
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 12:14 AM

Sicily has never been a corona hotspot. It's classified in the yellow zone. There are actually about 300 officially registrated new infections every day.
The most touched regions are actually the greater Palermo area (rom Trappeto up to Cefalu) and the Catania area (from Taormina up to Caltagirone).
260 thousand people working in the medical sector and 3 thousand other people (all older then 80 years) are actually vaccinated.
Total population of Sicily: 5 million
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 03:16 AM

May, cancel.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 04:32 AM

Ditto, cancel. There is currently a state of emergency in Italy through April 30. Somehow, I don’t see traveling as an option in May!

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Old Feb 21st, 2021, 09:17 AM

Sicily in September is lovely especially if you like to swim as the sea is wonderfully warm. That is honestly the earliest I'd think of going this year. If it has to be spring then 2022 is your best bet. The countryside should be greener, spring flowers abound, but with cooler sea temps.
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Yep! Thanks, everyone. I already kind of knew it, but just wanted to get some confirmation and commiserate a little with travelers. Starting to look like this year will be filled with cancelled trips and cruises just like last year. Ah, well, still lots to see in the USA. Be well folks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 07:32 PM

Sicily

Agree with above poster. Vagabonda on Trip Advisor Sicily forum is an invaluable source for anything Sicily. In Oct. 2018 we did a 3 wk trip to Sicily driving the island counterclockwise flying in and out of Palermo. Vagabonda was incredibly helpful! Hopefully we all can travel again very soon!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 04:33 AM

Necker, one issue is that Americans will not be allowed into Italy. Personally,, I have cancelled two complicated, multi-stop trips to Sicily and am now planning, hopefully, to be able to go in October. September will be a little hot, I think, and I can still swim at home during that month. Even November would be good, I think, though not for swimming. We went to Abruzzo and Le Marche in November about 2 years ago and it was a marvelous time to be there, with few other tourists. But I am not making any reservations yet.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 03:35 AM

Where are you hoping to go, Ekscrunchy?
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 10:10 AM

My Dear Ann:

Here is a post that vaguely describes the trip that I had planned, beginning in Catania and driving clockwise around the south coast from Ragusa to Trapani (with stops) and up to Palermo and flying home from there...I am open to all suggestions since both trips were cancelled due to virus......I've been to Palermo but might add some time there......I had a terrible experience in that city that I am sure I posted about so partner is not enthusiastic but I am sure I can change his mind.....seems silly not to go if we are so close.....

I can post the exact itinerary if you would like but more of less it was/is:

Catania
Ragusa
Town near Scala dei Turchi (opinions on this site wanted very much): Realmonte
Castelveltrano (rural B&B)
Trapani
Near Scopello marina (??) or someplace in that area...
Drive to Palermo Punta Raisa airport, or to Palermo city...

We could take two weeks plus to do this trip. Partner might bail on me due to virus but if he does, I might either try to do this with public transport and a driver, OR switch to another area of Italy where driving is easier.......DO NOT want this to happen but partner bailed on me in 2001 October and I went to Florence alone and it was fabulous.....it is the driving alone that makes me an anxious wreck, even in the US but in Italy, e gads!!! Last trip leaving Fiumicino airport we saw two guys trying to pull a female driver out of her car in the middle of the autostrada ringing Rome. Honestly! they had stopped their car and had some kind of road rage incident that I had never encountered. And I am a turtle-paced driver, scared of each and every curve...I am exaggerating, but not by much!!!

We are in Florida now, a three day drive from NYC with two nights in motels.....I am "not allowed" to drive and that is fine by me! Highlight of those drives is the barbecue in the southern states, and just being in such different environments than NYC. Get over here sometime and I can show you around!!
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 07:58 AM

Unfortunately, as previous posters stated, I don't think a May trip to Italy will be in the cards for U.S. travelers. Who knows what the fall will bring for int'l travel. In 2018 we visited Sicily for 3 weeks starting in early Oct. and it was lovely.
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 08:45 AM

My dear Ek,

We only did the east, flying into and out of Catania, with 12 days divided between Ortigia, Ragusa Ibla, Piazza Armerina [mainly for Villa Casale] https://www.visitsicily.info/en/vill...na-del-casale/ and Taormina. Even so it was hard to fit in everything we wanted to see in that area. We never got to Agrigento, or Noto, or spent much time in Modica, or Catania. OTOH we did spend a whole day exploring Ragusa, went to Caltagorine on the way to Piazza Armerina, spent a few hours on the beach at Marina di Ragusa, and had a day trip to Etna.

Long story short, I think that 2 weeks to cover all the country between Catania and Palermo is probably not enough.
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 05:32 PM

Eks,
Please do go to Ortigia (the historic core of Siracusa). Also Agrigento, just west of Ragusa. The Valley of the Temples in Agrigento has magnificent Greek temples. And do stay in the old center of Agrigento a couple of nights. All the guide books say not to do this. Ignore them, it's a fascinating little place.