Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Question about proposed 9 day itinerary around Munich

Question about proposed 9 day itinerary around Munich

Oct 11th, 2018, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Question about proposed 9 day itinerary around Munich

Hi all, I thought I'd run my proposed itinerary here as everyone seems so knowledgeable! We want to spend around 9 days in the Munich area (we are flying through Munich to Turkey and thought we'd stop in Munich en route). How does this sound? Arrive in Munich from North America, drive directly to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for three nights, then drive to Berchtesgarden for three nights, then drive to Munich, drop off car, and stay there three nights (or keep car for three nights and do some day trips from there). How does this sound?
Oct 11th, 2018, 06:19 AM

Your itinerary sounds good to me, but are you set on renting a car? Getting around in Germany is easy by train and less of a hassle than driving IMO (although getting to some hotels in Berchtesgaden might involve an uphill climb, but taxis are available at the station).

We've visited all these places multiple times - only had a car on the first visit, used trains on all the rest. I find train transport more relaxing, but you may feel otherwise.

Have a great trip.
Oct 11th, 2018, 06:29 AM

What time of year are you traveling? Are you accustomed to possible winter driving weather?

Do you know what you'd like to do with each of your three-day segments? You may find that public transportation is easier that driving and parking once you sort out your itinerary. I personally prefer Bavaria-by(my)-car for the flexibility, but you might not even need to rent one.
Oct 11th, 2018, 07:57 AM

Yes as others say public transports are great and with the Bavarian Ticket you can ride trains and buses all day for a pittance. Anyway for lots on Bavarian trains and buses, etc check www.bahn.de/en for schedules - general info trains www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. But driving can be fun too but just in case you did not realize buses and trains are so so great.
Oct 11th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

We go in early May

My husband loves to drive so we are happy to rent a car. We thought we would see towns and sites near each stop and wonder if we are spending too much time out of Munich. We like to hike and see towns and also World War 2 sites.
Oct 11th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Nurnberg is about the most interesting WW2 sites in Germany IME - Hitler's Parade Grounds just south of town with the stadium still there where the Fuhrer famously reviewed goose stepping troops - and an interpretative center - easy drive from Munich and also Dachau in Munich suburbs and the Munich beer hall where Hitler made his famous Beer Hall Putsch. So lots to do from Munich as a base as well as city itself. I'd put more days in Munich or stay in Nurnberg a night - delightful city.
Oct 11th, 2018, 11:00 AM

So far there isn't a single thing that might be IN Munich you have expressed much interest in so it is impossible to say if you are "spending too much time" elsewhere. Despite the excellent transport system sometimes having a car is helpful but you would not need it, at all, once you are IN Munich.

Are you even familiar with train systems? Do you ever use them where you are? I like to drive also but sometimes when I hear the old "I like to drive" thing I always wonder if those people actually know how to take a train anywhere. Just a thought.
Oct 11th, 2018, 05:56 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
Arrive in Munich from North America, drive directly to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for three nights
Please rethink and take public transportation for your first night or two! Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter whether you sleep on the flight and no matter your prior experience! And please be patient with me if you think I’m being overly adamant, but I know too many people who have died or been seriously injured in accidents to which jet lag was a contributing factor, and I know too many people who will spend the rest of their lives dealing with the knowledge that they were responsible for accidents that resulted in multiple deaths, including those of children, all because they were too confident in their ability to drive safely with jet lag. The issue has become a bit of a cause célèbre for me.
Oct 11th, 2018, 06:06 PM

You can easily rent a car in Garmisch if you find you really want one. We take the train most of the time in Germany.
Oct 11th, 2018, 11:49 PM

"Are you even familiar with train systems? Do you ever use them where you are? I like to drive also but sometimes when I hear the old "I like to drive" thing I always wonder if those people actually know how to take a train anywhere. Just a thought."

A little harsh, no? We like to drive when outside of major cities; and yes, we also know how to (and do) take trains. Bavaria is "easy" to drive around, comparatively; when we're in Munich, though, we deposit the car as soon as possible and use public. For me/us, it is not just about moving from A to B. Using a (personal) vehicle affords the flexibility to stop for photos (typically of cows and mountains when in Bavaria) that are just not the same from a train window. Also, there is much to be said about stopping for a Brettljausen at a roadside Gasthof and admiring the scenery over "picnicking" on a little train table; stopping roadside for a basket of the seasonal fruit to nosh; picking up a local brandy or schnapps to bring home, etc.

To the OP: I agree that you haven't really mentioned much that would inspire a stay in Munich proper. The enjoyable hiking and wandering is all around GAP and Berchtesgaden; and the main WWII sites are as Pal mentioned: Dachau, Nuremberg, Eagles Nest (which one can hike up to)...
Oct 12th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

We have some things to see in Munich

Originally Posted by fourfortravel View Post
"Are you even familiar with train systems? Do you ever use them where you are? I like to drive also but sometimes when I hear the old "I like to drive" thing I always wonder if those people actually know how to take a train anywhere. Just a thought."

A little harsh, no? We like to drive when outside of major cities; and yes, we also know how to (and do) take trains. Bavaria is "easy" to drive around, comparatively; when we're in Munich, though, we deposit the car as soon as possible and use public. For me/us, it is not just about moving from A to B. Using a (personal) vehicle affords the flexibility to stop for photos (typically of cows and mountains when in Bavaria) that are just not the same from a train window. Also, there is much to be said about stopping for a Brettljausen at a roadside Gasthof and admiring the scenery over "picnicking" on a little train table; stopping roadside for a basket of the seasonal fruit to nosh; picking up a local brandy or schnapps to bring home, etc.

To the OP: I agree that you haven't really mentioned much that would inspire a stay in Munich proper. The enjoyable hiking and wandering is all around GAP and Berchtesgaden; and the main WWII sites are as Pal mentioned: Dachau, Nuremberg, Eagles Nest (which one can hike up to)...
We have a few things to see in Munich that were given to us by a friend's daughter who lives there - the English garden, churches, the market, the monastery out of town, a beer hall of course, the modern art museum - I think there is a lot to see in Munich for three nights/two days.
As far as transit, the question about whether we are familiar with trains is I think directed to us and I agree, quite harsh! Yes, we have taken trains frequently in Europe and also I take transit in my home city rather than driving downtown, as well as taking Via Rail throughout Ontario rather than driving.
Oct 12th, 2018, 09:45 AM

Cars are great for touring countryside but I'd return once in Munich and use public transit to see city and to maybe day trip to Nurnberg- cars can't really be used much to visit sights in Munich - a hassle anyway. But to visit rural Bavaria a good idea.

Search this Thread