Search

Oktoberfest transportation options

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oktoberfest transportation options

Hello everyone,
I just booked our hotel in Augsburg for Oktoberfest 2009. Now a couple questions as to how best to get into Munich each day.

Firstly, we do have rental car but really do not want to drive into the city itself. We will want to go into the city Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. We’re not big drinkers ( in fact I don’t drink at all… I know...the horror...going to Oktoberfest and not drinking) so driving at the end of day will not be a problem.

Now for our choices:
First choice: Drive our car from Augsburg to the Mammendorf station (in the yellow zone). Purchase the $18 All zone Adult partner ticket for transportation for husband and self for the day. Cost for three days: $54.00

Second choice: Drive to the Lochausen station from Augsburg (in the white zone). Purchase the 3-day inner district zone pass for my husband and self. Cost for three days: $21.00

Third choice: Leave car in Augsburg. Buy Bayern Pass for $27 each day. Take the train from Augsburg to Munich and the S-bahn around Munich. Cost for three days: $81.00

Now my questions:
Will the train from Augsburg to Munich and the S bahn trains in Munich all be covered under the Bayern Pass?

Do I have to make reservations for the train from Augsburg to Munich each day or just show up at the station each morning (after 9:00 am)and purchase a ticket?

Will driving into Lochausen be too close traffic wise to Munich and therefore a pain to navigate?

Any other choices I am missing?

Once again, thank you for your help! It is much appreciated.
Michele
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:21 PM

>train from Augsburg to Munich and the S bahn trains in Munich all be covered under the Bayern Pass?

Yes, except for the ICE an IC trains, you need to take either RB,RE or S-Bahn.

>Will driving into Lochausen be too close traffic wise to Munich and therefore a pain to navigate?

Lochhausen has a park and ride, not too big, but it will be full during workdays. Getting there is no problem at all. If you need a place to park your car, park your car somewhere around the "Deutsche Eiche" restaurant and walk from there. There are quite a number of people that drive to Lochhausen for just the reason you mentioned, every day to go to work.

A Bayernticket is a good option!
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Option 2
Lochhausen station is not too far from exit #80 on A8 and you will not hit major traffic. But I think (not sure) that the P+R lot is not exactly a big one. So it may be full once you got there (mostly used by commuters).

Option 3
Bayern Ticket is only valid on regional trains, and no reservations are possible for those.
But it is also valid for public transportation in Munich (and Augsburg).

But: Currently the Autobahn from Augsburg to Munich is under construction for the whole 40 kilometers. A major PITA to drive.
I don't know when they plan to be done, but at the current "speed" of roadworks it will be some time in the 2050s. Therefore I would opt for #3 (train).
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Rental car? What for?

1. You can do the whole trip from Augsburg and back on the Bayern-Ticket. Why waste money on a car?

2. You'll all want to sample the beer. If you have a car one of you has to stay sober. Any volunteers?
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Last we attended Oktoberfest we stayed at a downtown hotel in Augsburg four blocks from the main train station and took trains back and forth..worked well.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Just a hint... Save one of your days for Augsburg. The city is worth a closer look if you are into history and architecture, especially renaissance. Augsburg used to be one of the richest cities in the whole empire for centuries, and this wealth still shows in the old buildings and churches.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies especially about the tip about the small park and ride lot in Lochausen. Sunday shouldn't be a problem but Monday and Tuesday might.

Quokka, the reason we have a car is that we will be in Europe for an extended amount of time, not just Oktoberfest, so it is necessary. But I do like the idea of saving a day for Augsburg. Since we will just be driving in from Rothenburg OBT, it would probably be a good way to fill our arrival day. Thank you.

Cowboy 1968: We would take the B2 from Augsburg to Mammendorf so as to avoid the Autobahn if they are still doing construction. Or better yet just take the train that day.

So many choices...we might just combine the options depending on what we want to do each day. Thanks for the input.