Driving in Munich

Feb 10th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Driving in Munich

I've heard Munich was a nightmare to drive a car in. I Would be interested in comments from anyone with experience driving there. We are going to be staying there for one day and then driving around Bavaria for a couple of weeks. Will probably be staying in the center of town.
Feb 10th, 2005, 06:19 AM

You heard correctly. We stay with friends in the suburbs when we visit Munich and wouldn't think of driving when we go into the city due to limited parking space, heavy traffic and congestion. The U-Bahn and S-Bahn are very convenient and efficient and will meet your need to move around in the city. Try to arrange your car rental to drop off as you get to Munich, otherwise you'll probably just park it and leave it while you're visiting Munich.
Feb 10th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Are you flying into Munich, spending one night in Munich, then heading out to Bavaria? If so, I would recommend taking the S-Bahn/U-Bahn as Betsy suggested, then pick up the car at one of the rental downtown locations the following morning and head out.

Be sure to get the "family" S-Bahn/U-Bahn pass for the day -- it will save you money.
Feb 10th, 2005, 06:40 AM

We did it at the end of our trip, coming up from the south, and our hotel was right in the center - at the end of Marienplatz. It is indeed tricky... the street names change all of a sudden. We asked our hotel to send us DETAILED driving directions, and they were happy to comply.

We stayed in Munich for two nights, and the first morning we dropped off our car at the rental car office (Avis) at the train station... again, after getting detailed directions at the hotel. It was a piece of cake to take public transportation to the airport, rather than driving from the center city.
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

We will be flying into Munich and spending one or possibly two nights. Think I will take your advice and pick the car up when we leave town. By the way, we are thinking of staying at the Platz Hotel. Anybody have experience with that hotel or suggestions for another. Thanks Mike
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Are you talking about the Platzl???
If so, it is very close to the Marienplatz which has an S-Bahn/U-Bahn stop..so about as central as it gets.

I do not believe the Platzl is air conditioned, however, if that is an issue for you.

As to driving...the public transport system is simply too good/comprehensive/economical for you to hassle with driving and parking in the city.
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, yes I meant to type Platzl. Sounded like a pretty good hotel for the money.
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:25 AM

As I said, it is in an absolutely great location IMO; the only reason I've never stayed there was the air conditioning "issue" as I always seem to be in Munich when the humidity is at its peak. Enjoy your stay..it is a truly wonderful city.
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:33 AM

I've also read about driving in Munich being very difficult. However, we're looking to take a day trip from Munich to The Black Forest. I've read that renting at the airport and train station can cost as much as 20% more than other rental facilities. Can anyone recommend a reliable car rental facility in the surrounding areas that we may get to by U/S Bahn?

Sorry to piggy-back your original thread, but I didnt think my questionit would warrant starting another. Thanks!
Feb 10th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Jenn, I think you're right about the added fee at airports and train stations. Contact Andy Bestor at gemut.com He's an expert on car rentals in Germany and works with AutoEurope.
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the information Betsy =o)
Feb 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM

I have driven in Munich a lot and have never had any trouble but then I have driven in Seattle and LA traffic too. Like any big city the parking is both cramped and expensive.

On top of that the Platzel is in the fussganger (pedestrian) zone so you won't be using your car much around there. Also there is a big (somewhere around 20%) surtax on rent cars picked up at the airport or train station in Germany. Save the money on the surtax the parking the extra rent car days and use the S-bahns and U-bahns to get around Munich. They ahve a great transportation system that is quick and easy to use. I think the Munich pass is good for several days and you can use it for the family and your dog if you want to.

Treat yourself to a Bavarian dinner at the Augustiner a few blocks from your hotel toward the Hauptbahnhof from Marienplatz.