Mr. Annhig enters a convent

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have frequently read recommendations for stays in convents in Italy, but never in the UK.

well, it appears that this option is available here in the UK as well at least for those who are visiting the Liverpool area.

DH, in his search for a place to stay whilst following his beloved Redruth Rugby Club in their unbeaten run this season [touch wood] came across this place:

http://www.parkhse.com/

he's there for two nights, and I will report back on his experiences when he returns.

he's paying £30 per night, B&B, and the only stipulation is that he's in by 2am. participation in the worship of the augustinian nuns who run the guest house is optional and free!

hopefully, the 600 miles round trip will have been worth it - the team have won all of their 9 matches so far this season and are top of their league. it'll be a long and cold drive home if they lose. perhaps he can ask the nuns to pray for the right result.

REgards, ann
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 03:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
How did you find the convent? I've seen books for convents in Italy or France, but not for other countries.

I recently stayed at this convent in Italy for 31.50€ per night (breakfast was 3€ if you wanted it). Click on "where we are" and scroll down below the maps to see the convent on the side of the cliff.
http://www.monasterosanlodovico.it/English/english.htm
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stayed with the nuns in Hall-in-Tyrol a number of years back.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM

Seriously, why would one want to stay in a convent rather than a regular B&B. I don't understand the purpose other than religious practice.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Covent stays are not much different than B&B stays, except usually the nuns keep things much cleaner than B&B owners, the rooms are usually bigger and they are generally cheaper.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
usually because they are very quiet, cheap, very clean. B&Bs are fine too of course.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM

I had 16 years of nuns in school & that was enough. I can't imagine sleeping in their convent, too.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Convent stays are available in many countries. Here is one example:
http://www.brigidine.org

Click the Accommodation link.

I also came across a Buddhist monastery option in London some time ago, but I have not investigated further.

I can come up with lots of theory about female oppression, etc. but the fact is that the nuns I met at this convent seemed pretty happy:
http://www.fmmfirenze.it/

I think it's another travel experience to enjoy.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM

In Italy, in order to increase accommodation available to ever rising number of tourists, the government started giving grant-aid to religious communities to use some of their redundant accommodation for this purpose. Many accommodation in convents and other religious houses are run on a commercial basis and are little different from tourist-grade hotels, but many find the combination of price, location, cleanliness and generally friendly atmosphere attractive. Most are used by large pilgrimage groups and offer a chapel to hold services in, but are also open to individual tourists as a base for sightseeing.
One thing to bear in mind is that most have a curfew, which can be quite early (like 10 or 11 pm), without the facility of a loan key to let yourself in. If you can live with such limitations, convent stay can be a pleasant option.
There are also religious accommodation available in other countries. In some, like Spain, they are run much like in Italy, as part of tourist accommodation, but in others they are primarily for the use of pilgrims, parish groups and individuals wanting peace and quiet for reflection and retreat. Description of each venue usually makes it clear what is expected of their guests.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

hi y'all

well i wondered what responses I'd get and you didn't disappoint.

I hoped I'd made it clear [but obviously not clear enough] that DH had picked the convent for its guest-house facilties, and price - it was the nearest and cheapest to the rugby ground. He's reported that it's a bit quirky, [so far the only nuns he's met have been grumpy or ancient, but not both!] but otherwise ok, and very convenient. there is a train that runs into the centre of Liverpool which he explored this morning, for only £2.50 all day. he particularly enjoyed the Walker Art gallery as it had some works by one of the Newlyn school artists which we both really like.

This train also goes right past Anfield and as Liverpool were playing this evening, he was going to try to get a ticket. it was that or see Pete Postlethwaite [craggy-faced excellent english actor] as King Lear at the everyman theatre. I have yet to hear which he picked.

I wonder if anyone else has stayed in a convent in the UK?

I'll fill in the rest of the details when he gets back.

regards, ann

PS - prayers or not, "we" won again - 35 -24. 10 straight victories and we still head the league.

pps - he found it throguh this web-site - www.a1tourism.com.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Annhig, I haven't stayed at a convent in London, but in addition to the Buddhist option I mentioned, I know there's some Catholic or Anglican option in Islington. I don't recall the details, though.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

hi y'all,

keeping my promise to report back, whether you are interested or not, DH has returned safe and sound though rather tired - it turned out to be a 700 miles round trip.

he never saw any other nuns - just the gurmpy one and the tiny ancient one, though there were quite a few other guests - about 10-12.

he did get into Anfield to see Liverpool beat West Brom 3-0 though it cost him £37!!!! according to him it was very civilised - not like when you uesd to have to stand on the terraces and get your pocket used as a toilet [allegedly].

and he has a recording on his pocket dictaphone of the KOP singing "you'll never walk alone" which is pretty cool [though probably in breach of the conditions on his ticket, which forbid any recording equipment except moble phones being brough onto the ground].

willtravel - perhaps we should start a thread - weird places we have stayed?

regards, ann
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 03:59 AM

Thanks for posting this, ann - very interesting, I wouldn't have imagined this type of accommo being available in the UK.

It sounds as though it's near Crosby, so did DH manage to visit Antony Gormley's 'Another Place' ? We've been twice and love it.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

hi caroline,

yes, and no.

yes, we were surprised about it too.

no, he didn't get to see anthony gormley's another house. What is it?

regards, ann
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 05:47 AM

It's metal statues on the beach staring out to sea. Looks pretty nifty IMHO.

ps As a catholic with experience of nunsI have the same reaction to them as Father Jack Hackett does.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

thanks CW for the elucidation.

It wasn't exactly beach weather, I gather.

I think that the fact that neither DH nor i have any direct experience of nuns probably contributed to his considering this as an option.

50% of the nuns he met comformed to all you and others have said about them!

regards, ann
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Always interesting to hear about accomodations in convents/monasteries.

Thanks for posting this.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 03:12 AM

A view of 'Another Place' - http://www.antonygormley.com/viewpho...p;projectid=13. This is just a part of it, the whole thing extends along something like 2km of beach.

It's worth a detour if you are anywhere near, or even worth a special trip IMO.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:39 AM

A couple of things to be aware of staying in convents. Beware of the nun with the ruler smacking your knuckles if you reach without asking at the breakfast table.
Don't speak out of turn or you can expect the "clicker".
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM

And if you're female, your skirt better touch the ground when you're kneeling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -