Question about Polish currency

Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Question about Polish currency

I will be going to Poland in May and flying into Warsaw. Normally when I travel abroad I get their currency through my bank. I am wondering if it would be better for me to just wait until I got to the airport in Warsaw and exchanged money there and avoided paying the banks fee to "order" currency. Anyone have any suggestions?
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:29 AM

Save your money! Use an ATM at the Wawszawa airport. Warszawa is 'awash' with ATMs.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi S,

I suggest changing about $100 to zloty at your departure airport and getting any cash you need in Poland - preferably from ATM machines.

Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:32 AM

There are more ATMs in Warsaw than anywhere I've ever been - many more than London certainly.

Just use those and take out cash as you need it
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!!!
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM

You will pay less and will get better deal if you exchange in Poland ... as others mentioned you can use ATMs which are usually in at least English in additional to Polish... But also check with your bank to see how large transaction fees are (where you may need to take out larger amount less often... I know Chase Bank charges are not small) Best deals be probably exchanging your currency in Kantor (exchange booths) which are all over and few at airport ... with ATMs I was able to take out max 2500zl per transaction
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM

I would definitely wait until you get to Poland, because that isn't a common currency (in comparison to euro or GBP, for example), and your homeland airport exchange may not even have any. If they do, they may charge a lot more for it than they would even for euro, etc.
Apr 12th, 2007, 06:25 AM

We just got back from Poland for Easter. We exchanged enough money at the airport to get a taxi to our hotel and then we scouted Kantor's every day to find the best rates. There are usually Kantors at hotels, but their rates are not the best. We scouted while exploring so it was easy for us to exchange what we needed for the day or for a couple days if the rate was 2.9 to our dollar.
Have a great trip!