Tour of Italy reco ?

Feb 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Tour of Italy reco ?

My husband and I are planning our first trip out of the country and planning to go to Italy. We want to get the most bang for the buck but really want to do the tour thing so we can see as much as possible. We would like to see Rome, Venice (must do the gondola), Pompeii, and would like to get south to Naples area which my family originally came from. I'm struggling to find a tour that will hit all these places without breezing through Rome. I'm most concerned about having adequate time at the Vatican, St Peter's square, Colosseum, etc. Perillo has a Vesuvius tour but most I've spoken with tell me it's overpriced compared to others (by $1000 or more) and that the meals leave a lot to be desired (both taste and atmosphere). Since this is the trip of a lifetime for us I'd really appreciate some recommendations. As I said, w'ere not world travelers and feel being in a tour group would be abetter experience for us. Any recommendations?
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM

If you must be in a tour group, then just keep looking for the right tour. Somewhere you might find one. I would think that you would enjoy the trip more if you went without a tour group. It just takes a little study and planning, but you have to be the kind of person who isn't afraid to try. For the trip of a lifetime, I believe you would be better off. But please don't do the independent travel thing if it scares you. Good luck.
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM

http://www.initaly.com/info/carefree/carefree.htm (www.initaly.com)
lists tours they offer. I used this company when planning our trip to Italy and can highly recommend them. (Except for the airline tickets travel agent through the site; I had to make quite a few changes because the connecting times were too short for my comfort zone). Another good idea is to fly "open jaw", in your case into Venice and home from Rome. Venice's airport is so small and easy to navigate and that city is perfect as an introduction- you really can do Venice on your own, and should, because the freedom (and romance!) to wander wherever you want is a huge part of the experience. Then you can take the train from Venice to Rome and do whatever tour you choose. The train station in Venice is a vaporetto stop- you go up the stair and you are in the station and on your way! How exciting!!!
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:17 PM

My daughter and I are going to Italy with Grand European Tours May 5-17. This tour starts with 3 night in Rome, 2 on the Amalfi Coast(including Pompeii), 1 in Assisi, 2 in Florence and 2 in Venice. A last night out of Milan. Website: www.Getours.com
Tour title "Unforgettable Italy"
We went with them to Vienna, Prague, Salzburg, and Budapest. We were pleased with the tour. Yes, I have been to Rome for a week before on our own and other trips independently,but this time I wanted a trip that would get us from place without worrying about transpo and would move fairly quickly in the time limit my daughter could travel. You can include air or just the land part with this tour. We are doing our own air.
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Hi Bruce and Deb,

I understand your reasons for wanting to do an organised tour. I did the same thing and went through Trafalgar tours - 13 days - and we did cover quite a bit of Italy, certainly all that you have mentioned.

However, I too, felt that more time was needed in Rome and so arrived a few extra days early to do my own independent sightseeing of the city. We had four independent days in Rome all up. (Not enough I know, but better than nothing).

I think you are going to be disappointed with your food choices, no matter which tour you do. As our tour guide told us there was the good and the bad regarding the meals. The bad was it tasted awful but the good news was that there was plenty of it!!

We did have a couple of stand out dinners and lunches but yes, by and large the food was a bit mediocre.

I still believe however, that to cover a large distance over Italy, an organised tour is a smart option. I was overall very happy with Trafalgar Tours.
Feb 12th, 2007, 04:12 AM
ira

Hi B,

>...our first trip out of the country ...We want to get the most bang for the buck ... want to do the tour thing so we can see as much as possible.<

Typical 1-st timer mistake.

You can get the most bang for the buck or you can do a tour.

You can enjoy your visit to Italy or you can see as much as possible.

I understand your feeling that this will be the trip of a lifetime, but unless you are terminally ill (which I certainly hope you are not) you will go back.

Since Venice, Rome and Naples are your priorities, I suggest 2 weeks as follows:

Fly into Venice - 4 nights
Train to Rome - 4 nights
Train to Naples and on to Sorrento - 3 nights
Return to Naples - 2 nights
Fly home.

See www.kayak.com for airfare.

See www.trenitalia.com for trains.

See www.venere.com for hotels.

See Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34568596

If you have less time, we can redo your itinerary.

When are you going?

Apr 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

We were planning to go in May/June timeframe or the fall. We haven't been able to put the planning together just yet. Unfortunately I do expect that this will be our one and only trip to Italy. While no one is terminally ill there are other health concerns that will make it difficult to travel again so extensively.

Neither one of us has been out of the country and we are a bit apprehensive to do traveling on our own under the circumstances.

We also can not afford to spend 15 days there to see everything. Even then I'm sure it wouldn't be enough time.