Reload this Page >

Question about doing laundry in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 03:06 PM
MarkJ

My wife and I are off to London in a few weeks for two weeks. In order to pack light we're only taking 5 or 6 days of cloths and will do laundry at some point. We'll be staying in Barbican and were wondering if there are any places where we could drop off our laundry then pick it up that evening (ie Wash and Fold)? That way we can sight see and not lose time at the laundry mat. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>MarkJ

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 05:44 PM
s.fowler

There are plenty of laundromats in London in my experience. Your hotel should know where one is near you... although, if my memory serves me, that is more of a business district.

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 06:03 PM
Lori

Mark, <BR>There are many laundromats in London, personally I'm not familiar with any in the Barbican area but I'm sure there must be some nearby. Take a walk around, go a few blocks in either direction of your hotel and look for signs saying "service wash" - many laundromats are self-service OR you can get a service wash meaning drop it off and come back later (or next day/whatever) and get it. You can always wash out your personal stuff in the hotel - if there is a towel warmer it provides a wonderful way to dry undergarments!!

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:08 AM
bdj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone familiar with a laundry service (wash-dry-fold) near the Royal Horseguards Hotel? Not interested in utilizing the hotel’s service and not having much success using Google maps.

Thanks in advance…bdj.

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:48 AM

The generic word in British is launderette, not laundromat.

The nearest one north of the river is the coin-op at 33 Betterton St WC2H 9BP. About a ten minute walk from Northumberland Ave: I don't know what services it offers.

There MIGHT be one along Lower Marsh (not Lower Marsh St: just Lower Marsh), by Waterloo Station, which is the just about the only other street nearby with rents low enough for a launderette to survive.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 03:03 AM
bdj

Much obliged.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 03:28 AM

The Yellow Pages (www.yell.com)- for the Barbican, use the postcode EC1, for the Royal Horseguards, use SW1, and check on the map.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 03:47 AM

What you are calling &quot;wash and fold&quot; is called a service wash here.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 04:32 AM
tod

Yes, there is one along Lower Marsh and we used it twice whilst staying at County Hall. Some years ago now but it should still be there.
While the washing was going round and round we strolled through the street market and various little shops in the area.

There is also a launderette in either Marchmont street or Herbrand street, both running parallel to one another off Tavistock Place, Near Russell Square Tube Station.
Along one of them or very near, is a Chinese Laundry taking in washing and ironing.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
PatrickLondon: &quot;<i> . . . for the Barbican, use the postcode EC1, . . . . </i>&quot; That was helpful for the OP - unfortunately he asked his question 9 years ago

Just curious -- How does one locate a decade old thread to top?
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM

&quot;The generic word in British is launderette, not laundromat.&quot;

The one we went to years ago here in Reading was called a Washeteria. And I've seen many other weird variants.

I don't think anyone in England will have problems understanding what a laundromat is.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:01 AM

&quot;I don't think anyone in England will have problems understanding what a laundromat is&quot;

True, but irrelevant.

The poster was complaining about problems finding a launderette in the Google maps &quot;find businesses&quot; feature. The feature doesn't work if you don't use the terms the businesses use to describe themselves.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Good grief, I never noticed the date. But anyway, if someone comes searching with exactly the same requirement - as bdj presumably did.