Hotels near St.Pancras London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, My husband and I are travelling to London/Paris...We are flying direct to London and then taking the train to Paris the next morning. Where is a good hotel to stay at near the Eurostar Train station for a decent price?!
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/L...ncras?cmp=GLBC
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 09:30 AM

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel is right there. Costs a lot, but but for one nite----
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 10:11 AM

Hotel Megaro; across the street from St. Pancras. Pricing is decent for London but by no means inexpensive.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 10:45 AM

Go to londontown.com and use the interactive map and input your dates.

That way you can see what's available and determine if it meets your undefined "decent" price.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 12:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> a decent price?!<<

We have no idea what you consider 'decent' (or indecent for that matter)
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 12:46 PM

We stayed at the Alhambra Hotel (a block from St Pancras) in 2011 under the same circumstances...flew into London with a Eurostar train to Paris the next day.

We were very disappointed...we cannot recommend it.

Even though we had reserved our room in January for a May stay, they put us <strong>across the street</strong> in another building -- no front desk reception, etc. In addition they did not give us the wake-up call we asked for. (Fortunately we always travel with our own alarm clock, or we would have missed our train.)

Just a warning for you.

SS
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 06:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
There are several hotels on Cartwright Gardens, a couple of blocks from St. Pancras. I've stayed in 2 of them and this is the one I like:

http://www.harlingfordhotel.com
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 08:43 PM

Don't have any recommendations, but just wanted to say congratulations on your decision to go with your hubby on this trip! Sounds like things moved quickly if you're already planning the trip. I don't know when your flight arrives/train leaves for Paris... but hope you'll have a chance to get out and walk around London in the daylight on your landing day... it's such a great way to start your trip and the best way to avoid jet lag.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 08:54 PM

Jeeze - I would splurge and stay and dine at St Pancras itself. It's "one of a kind".

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 10:05 PM

<i>We are flying direct to London and then taking the train to Paris the next morning.</i>

Why???? What's wrong with flying from home to Paris?

As for a hotel - I always find the St Pancras Renaissance to be a decent price
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 12:39 AM

Though I've spent most of my adult life living in the neighbourhood, and am hugely fond of it, I struggle to see why visitors stay there.

The Renaissance hotel built over the station is a spectacular piece of architecture from the outside - but mostly dull, with a few pretty bits, inside. The station has the best public transport connections of anywhere on earth, with trains or tubes to most of London's airports - which means it's minutes from everywhere else in central London as well.

There are a few wonderful things to see nearby (the galleries at the British Library are simply the world's finest exhibition of great books, for example, and the Wellcome Collection is the quirkiest museum of modern medical and public health issues anywhere too). The developments immediately north of the hotel are fascinating.

But the area has limited restaurants, and it's got that shabby, crowded anonymity feel many major railway stations have - though it's a great deal safer than most in other countries. It's on a busy road (busy both with vehicles and with luggage-laden pedestrians in a sort of hurry), and really isn't a hugely enjoyable place for strolling and sitting.

Obviously if you're getting a daytime flight from North America and an early train, you'll want just somewhere to flop. But if you're planning to spend even a few hours in London, I'd suggest there are more interesting areas - all with hotels no more than 10 mins from the St Pancras checkin machines - you can get to from Heathrow just as easily.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 10:46 AM

Last year my original itinerary gave me less than half a day in London before catching the train to Edinburgh. I planned on staying at St. Pancreas Rennaissance. I ended up staying two nights and booked the Great Northern Hotel. I think staying near St. Pancreas is a great idea. I was really happy with my decision as It took less than two minutes to get from hotel to my platform. I plan on doing the same this year. If spending more than one or two nights, I'd stay elsewhere but for just one night the area works well.

There is not a great selection of restaurants in the area as flanneruk pointed out. I ate at the restaurant in hotel the first night and at Searcy's in St. Pancreas Station. Both were good. The British Library is about a block away if you need someplace close by to visit.

I have had problems with taxi drivers on my last few visits and is one of the reasons I like being within easy walking distance of Kings Cross/ St. Pancras if I have a morning departure.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 11:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am staying one night at the Rennaissance in April, but only because I have an early Eurostar and just going downstairs will be a doddle. But is IS expensive and I'm not even in one of the posh/Victorian rooms but in the modern Barlow wing/rooms.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Regarding restaurants in the vicinity, while staying facing the green space that is Cartwright Gardens (posted above), walking into the neighborhood south along Marchmont street and the streets just off it for a couple blocks, there are a number of places to eat.

The neighborhood is very close to the stations but bears no resemblance to the urban environment of Euston Road and is why I like it. Bloomsbury/Russell Square are a short walk away, as well as the British Museum. It's a perfect place for those who like to be close to their getaway point, as I do too.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 11:52 AM

But beware of the cheap flophouse type 'hotel' or 'B&Bs' south of Euston Road around Cartwright Gardens - I have stayed at many and some are rather OK like the Jesmund Dene Hotel (http://www.jesmonddenehotel.co.uk/) but still may not be up to folks like janis' standards or others on a super high budget but if you want just a place to sleep the night and clean and safe this is one place I have stayed in and would recommend as one of the better of the many other hotels' in the area, some of which I have also stayed in and never will again.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 12:14 PM

There was a time - roughly about the day Pancratius was martyred (+ AD 340) -when the St Pancreas joke was funny.

It's not a a joke that ages well.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Well, I certainly know how to spell it correctly but auto correct does not like St. Pancras and I'll admit I don't always double check. All I can say is DAMN!
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 02:40 PM

The Jenkins on Cartwright Gardens is recommended on some sites but avoid it also. Whoever did the recommending didn't get a room with the retrofitted bathroom units in the corner so they could call it ensuite. Awful. And there was another where a cheap friend stayed down the block that was akin to a college dorm. So, yes, PalenQ is correct, not all are good. But that pretty much holds true in most neighborhoods. But since we still don't know how much Crazy wants to spend, it's all conjecture.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 02:46 PM

I so want to stay at the Renaissance - they have bath butlers to run you a bath, and blokes even get free wet shaves at their spa if you stay in one of the posher rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -