Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about day trip to Paris from London.

Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

I have a trip to London planned for October and am travelling alone. I would like to make the day trip to Paris by Eurostar. I will certainly try to learn all of the basic phrases that I can in French before the trip but since I certainly will not have a command of the language by then do you think I will have any problems getting around using the transport systems, shops and cafes? I know there are guided day tours but I would really like to try it by myself since shopping is my main agenda.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:30 AM

You will have no problems. Most people in Paris speak some English, and those who deal with tourists speak it quite well. Smile, say "merci beaucoup" and you will be fine.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:54 AM

Don't worry about it, I wouldn't spend lots of time studying a lot of French for a day trip. If your main goal is shopping, you only need to learn a few words -- carte bancaire, Visa, etc.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:55 AM

I agree with Lori. Here are some more basic French courtesies. Greet clerks when you enter a store by saying either "Bonjour, monsieur" or "Bonjour, madame." Say "s'il vous plait" ("please") and "au revoir" ("goodbye"). To ask the price of something, say "Combien?" ("how much?). In a cafe the table is yours for as long as you wish. No one will bring you the check until you ask for it. Say "l'addition, s'il vous plait."

After only a few rides, you'll ride the metro like a native. Buy a one-day zone 1-2 Mobilis pass (E5.50) when you arrive at Gare du Nord. It will give you unlimited rides on the metro, RER, bus, and the Montmartre funicular.

To get an advance look at the Paris transportation system, go to www.ratp.fr and download and print a metro/RER map for central Paris.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:03 AM

Here are a few metro/RER words:
Direction - how to get to a line
Correspondance - how to get to a connecting line
Sortie - exit