Search

Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris

Hello

I plan to visit Paris for several days...i do not speak French.. Is it difficlt for me to move around places...what is the cost of a 5 day travel pass with unlimited travel? is it diffiuclt to get from the de Gaulle airport to rues de Plantars? i have wheeled luggage ..any stairs?? from the airport to the metro station? any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 06:49 AM

Could you re-confirm that street name?
From CDG you have multiple choices. The RER train is the cheapest, with multiple stops in central Paris where, if required, you can transfer to the Metro at these stations. The train line starts at CDG, so you are only boarding with other flights arriving. There is an escalator down to the tracks.

Some station are at street level, some have escalators, some have stairs. If you are transferring to metro, probably be some stairs. Others here are more aware of the specifics. There is also a website for information regarding mobility issues and the public transit system.

There are also shuttles from CDG that have pre-determined stops in central Paris, near Metro stops: Air France bus and Roissybus are two.

There are also shuttles that you make reservations with and who will meet you at the airport at pre-determined location. There are threads here with recommendations.

And lastly cabs, which I think is probably the way you want to go.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Paris accommodates millions of tourists every year and most people with whom you will come in contact will speak some English. It is very easy to get around Paris. I have never used more than a carnet of 10 Metro tickets for a 10-day visit. Paris is pretty compact and unless you need to get from one end to the other, walking is the easiest and most enjoyable means of transportation. I always use a car service tog get from the airport into Paris. My experience has been that more Metro stations have stairs rather than escalators.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 07:55 AM

Rue de Plantes?

When are you going, and for how long?

Alone?

Interests?

My concern is that you mention mobility issues. So it may be best to use Metro/bus to go everywhere, in which case a pass might be more economical. Yes, Paris is very much a walking city...but is this something you fell up to doing?

In central Paris, I sense that you will find some english comprehension. They deal with a lot of tourists, so it is not unusual for waiters, Metro workers,etc.. so have some. That being said, it is not a bad idea, actually a very good idea, to have a few phrases/words.

All restaurants will post a menu outside so you can see what is being offered. It will almost always be in french. There are menu translators and guides that can help. I have seen the topic here, so a search will give you the best recommendation ( I speak french, so I have not had the need)

Millions have gone before you
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Rue des Plantes is way out in the 14th, near metros like Alesia. Some good restaurants there, but if you have mobility issues, you will not not be a happy camper! Stay in the central core and opt for a lower rated hotel.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM

While you most likely mean rue des Plantes, if you could clarify the name and address of your hotel, more advice could be offered.

The numerous transportation options depend greatly upon where it is you want to go. If you want a multiday pass, you will need to clarify the days of the week your arrive and depart.

For transportation from CDG to central Paris, a taxi is the most reliable and quickest method of transportation - about 45€ to 50€.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Rue du Platre in the 4th,near Pompidou? That is not bad locaiton.