Help with Boulogne-Billancourt

Sep 8th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Help with Boulogne-Billancourt

We impulsively booked a flight from SFO to CDG for $432 R/T. We will be traveling in late October. I was able to use points to book a week at the Courtyard Marriott in Boulogne. I am not familiar with this area but it looks interesting. We have been to Paris several times but only for a few nights at most. We have seen most of the popular sites, but look forward to spending a week eating, site seeing and just walking around. I am curious for the best way to get into Paris -Bus? Metro? I am also interested in the hop on hop off boats on the Seine. Has anyone used these all day passes mainly for transportation? We have used the subway in London but not in Paris so I am looking for some encouragement to do that. I am also interested in restaurant, cafe, bakery etc. suggestions in Paris proper and in the vicinity of our hotel. ? We have one dinner reservation for Chez L'ami Jean which is in the 7th. We are more interested in smaller causal places vs larger, formal restaurants. Any suggestions would be most welcomed.
JoeG
Sep 8th, 2018, 12:56 PM

Boulogne is a very nice suburb, served by metro line 9.
Sep 8th, 2018, 02:23 PM

From your hotel you could take either line 9, as Kerouac suggests, or line 10. The first station is about a 10 minute walk, and the second about 5 minutes. Either will get you to the center in about 30 - 40 minutes.
Sep 8th, 2018, 02:54 PM

>>> I am curious for the best way to get into Paris -Bus? Metro?
What is your definition of "best?" Fastest, least hassle, cheapest, etc. If you are a Uber user, they have that in Paris. Taxi is least hassle, but not necessarily the fastest depending on when you are arriving. It is 50EU fixed charge to your hotel https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...paris-cdg-taxi.
There are various buses that go into Paris, but none of them to near your hotel. https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...blic-transport
The metro closest your hotel is #10. However, there is no metro at CDG, only the RER commuter train, one of the line B. RER-B and Metro 10 do no stop at the same station, meaning if you go this route, it would be RER-Metro-Metro, or RER-walk-Metro. Even if two lines stop at the same station, there are steps and steps in between.
If you take RER to and from CDG, AND, both trips are in the same Monday-Sunday period, you can get all zone Navigo Decouverte card at CDG RER/SNCF train office. https://www.ratp.fr/en/titres-et-tar...-travel-passes. If you do RER round trip to Paris and back from CDG within the same weekly validity period, those RER rides pay for the unlimited all zone weekly pass, meaning all your remaining bus/metro/RER/tram/funicular rides in Paris, all the way up to Versailles, are freebies.

>>> We have used the subway in London but not in Paris so I am looking for some encouragement to do that.
I think Paris metro system is simpler in one sense. Unlike London, a given platform services only one line in Paris. As long as you wait at the correct platform, you cannot hop onto a wrong metro in Paris. This is not true for the RER commuter trains. Also, Paris metros always pull into the platform from the left. There are numerous "How to use Paris Metro" videos at Youtube.
Sep 8th, 2018, 04:34 PM

If you have time to spare, want a break from Paris (probably not very likely, but just in case) and are interested in French Art Deco, Boulogne-Billancourt is unusual in its concentration of this architectural style.

In French,
https://www.tourisme92.com/Local/cdt...Parcours30.pdf

In English
https://www.unjourdeplusaparis.com/e...vement-moderne
Sep 8th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions.I considered public transport from dg to the hotel but given our arrival time I think that we will take a taxi.
The Uber suggestion was good. I really want to try the Metro - it seems so sensible. I love the architectural nature of the neighborhood, I'm really excited to have a more local experience.
Sep 9th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

thanks greg - I checked out the "How to use the Paris Metro" on You tube - very helpful - thank you!

Also anyone with any food recommendations in the area or lesser known museums?J
oeG
Sep 9th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Do you mean lesser known museums in Boulogne? There aren't any well=known museums there, I'd say. There are only two, this is one
https://en.parisinfo.com/paris-museu...-des-annees-30

the other is the Albert Kahn museum but it's closed for renovation until mid 2019
Sep 9th, 2018, 12:59 PM

The Metro is good, but if you would like to see something of Paris while passing through, your hotel is on the 72 bus route and close to the 52 bus on rue de Paris a block away. The 72 follows the Seine for a long way, and the 52 will take you to the Arc de Triomphe and on to the Opera where it terminates.

paris_bus_72_map_hq_via_eutouring.pdf
paris_bus_52_map_hq_via_eutouring.pdf
Sep 9th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Christina- that Musee des annees 30 looks great - we will go there. Also, we are interested in similar size museums anywhere in Paris.

MaineGG - the Bus line info is perfect!

Thank you
JoeG
Sep 10th, 2018, 06:48 AM

Boulogne is a nice suburd near Paris, it will take around 40min to get to the Champs Elysées by bus. Don't forget to visit the Albert Kahn Garden and the Parc Rotschild.
Sep 10th, 2018, 11:57 PM

We can also vouch for the Musée des Années 30. We took a bus from the 9th to see the Albert Kahn museum. The gardens alone made the trip worthwhile; the photos, which comprise much of the actual museums' exhibits not so much. We walked from there to a Metro station, and on the way really got a look at the suburb. Wide streets, clean, and friendly people made us think we could live there quite happily. On the way we passed a church in which a wedding had just taken place. The Bride and Groom along with the wedding party and guests were milling around on the church steps and sidewalks while pictures were being taken. They surrounded us, thrust glasses of champagne into our only too willing hands and made us feel part of the happy event.

A few blocks along we saw the museum and gave it a tour. Not large, but it has a number of lovely displays of designs from the 1920s through the 1940s. We found it absolutely charming. Of course the champagne might have helped.

BTW, to our surprise, the trip out by bus and back via Metro each took almost the same amount of time.
Sep 11th, 2018, 07:01 AM

A very large new museum building is under construction at the Albert Kahn gardens. I think that most of the gardens themselves are still open, but the new museum will not be ready until 2019.

Here is my photo report of my visit: https://anyportinastorm.proboards.co...jardins?page=1
Sep 12th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

nukesafe - Your comments regarding the neighborhood confirm what I hoped for. We booked this trip in about 20 minutes once I found the bargain air fare. The area came up when I searched for Marriott properties so that I could use points. We were totally unfamiliar with Boulogne but my first impressions were that it looked very interesting. Thank you.
Also thanks to Kerouac - your photos of the Albert Kahn Gardens were lovely - it reminds me of the Huntington Library in Pasadena and we are so close!
Any food recommendations in the area?
JoeG
Sep 14th, 2018, 09:32 AM

I have never eaten in the area, but since the Albert Kahn gardens are extremely popular with Japanese tourists, there seem to be a considerable number of Japanese restaurants nearby.

I didn't even realise that I had given the link to my friend htmb's Albert Kahn report instead of my own. Even though she gave the link as well, here is the direct link to my own report for anybody who didn't click on it: http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...gardens?page=1

Last edited by kerouac; Sep 14th, 2018 at 09:35 AM.
Sep 14th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

The Gardens are so beautiful - I hope there is still a lot of color the end of October.
Sep 15th, 2018, 03:03 AM

I think I've been in every season except the middle of winter and have never been disappointed.

Search this Thread