Search

Queen's Day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:01 PM
d

Queen's Day

How crazy is it in Amsterdam during this day? I am leaving that day. Am i going to regret it? I am not much of a crowds person but I dont want to miss a good time. Is it like being in New Orleans during Mardi Gras?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Grasshopper

It's crazy. One thing I learned last Queen's day is that a person can never have too many orange clothing items! And you must have an inflatable orange crown.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Eye Spy

It's THE day to be in Holland, that's for sure. Wear something orange; people in the streets drinking and partying. You'll love it even if you don't like crowds. You'll have a great time and people are certain to offer you a drink!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Charles

Are we talking Amsterdam again? Is there an underlying reason for going here--on Queen's Day? How wild does it get? How wild do you want it?? Is there more to your story???

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:02 PM
nancy

Be prepared to take all day to move one block. It is wall to wall bodies and many pickpockets.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Sjoerd

Queen's Day (Koninginnedag) is on 30th of April. Between 500,000 and 1 million people celebrate the Queen's Birthday in the streets of Amsterdam. Small and big concerts, all kinds of games, food and drink. Families with small children get up early (6 AM) to buy and sell junk from their garage/attick on the street. <BR>Young adults start partying around 1 PM. The party is over by 8 or 9 PM. <BR>If you are leaving on that day between 9 AM and 9 PM, make sure to make arrangements for transport between town and the airport. There is NO transport in central Amsterdam between those times on 30 April. No trams, no buses, no taxis, nothing. The trains between Central Station and Schiphol Airport do run, but are full, full, full. <BR>Two years ago, the trains were so dangerously full that the Railway company decided to stop service. Many people were stuck in Amsterdam for the night. As a result, last year's Queen's Day was much more quiet. Nobody knows how crowded it will be this year, it depends on the weather as well.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:48 AM
jen

In fact, every city &amp; town in the Netherlands is crazy on April 30 - but Amsterdam is the best (or worst, if you don't like crowds or unpredictable behavior). As Sjoerd said, the weather is an important factor. If it rains, the partying is soggy. <BR>Even if you're not much of a crowds person, you should consider leaving a day later just to experience a unique national holiday. Otherwise, leave yourself lots of extra time to get to the airport unless you are leaving early in the morning.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Nutella

Last year my departing flight from Amsterdam was on Queens Day. The night before, my hotel gave all of the guests Orange Queens Day t-shirts. There was a buzz in the air, everyone was talking about it. On Queens Day Eve, lots of people were out, already wearing orange hats, etc. As I drove away in my cab to the airport on Queens Day morning, and could see people selling their stuff in the street, crowds starting to gather, etc, I definitely felt that I was missing out. The check in clerk at the airport was wearing an orange &quot;tail&quot; sticking out from his blazer, and I wanted to turn right around and head back into town! I say stay and extra day, enjoy!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:14 AM
Alphonse

Amsterdam has a queen? What's her name?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Eye Spy

Since The Netherlands is a constitutional monarchy, the present Queen of the Netherlands is Queen Beatrix. She is the daughter of the erstwhile Queen Juliana who now has the title Princess Juliana upon the ascension of her eldest daughter to the throne. Juliana abdicated in favor of Beatrix on April 30, 1980 (Juliana's birthday) and on that same day Queen Beatrix was sworn in as Queen of the Netherlands (the Queen is not crowned in the Netherlands, but sworn in). Beatrix's first royal decree was that April 30th remain &quot;Queen's Day&quot; -- a day that is her mother's birthday and is now the official Dutch national holiday. You can view the Dutch Royal House official website at: http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl