Queens Day in the Netherlands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be spending a week in Amsterdam with Queens Day in the middle. This does not sound like my cup of tea. Is is possible, using public transportation, to get out of the city and return in the evening? Is all public transport shut down in the country on that day? Thanks.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM

I would suggest taking one of those all day tours to Belgium or something, arranged through the VVV at the Centraal train station, which is what we did during the day so as not to be in Amsterdam during the big hoopla.

I don't remember if all public transportation is shut down on that day. Definitely go to the Queen's Palace for the fair at night, and wear at least one thing of orange in the spirit of the day.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM

Anywhere in the Netherlands will be a madhouse more or less. On the other hand, it's a special event that we, foreigners, don't see very often in other countries. If you think Amsterdam will be too crowded, you can take the train to any of the smaller cities in the surroundings (Haarlem and Leiden are very pretty).
Public transportation will not be shut down. On the contrary: if you come to Amsterdam by train on Queens Day, you can buy a special orange ticket that allows to use all public transport within the city.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:34 PM

Nearly all people coming to Amsterdam on Queens Day do so by public transport; it would be very hard to try and drive and park on that day. If you go out of Amsterdam in the morning, back in the evening, you are going the other way, so that would be ok.
On the other hand; why do you think it won't be your cup of tea? The atmosphere is great, there's a huge street market, food stalls everywhere, and beer stalls too of course! I've never heard of any trouble in Amsterdam on that day, or the evening before (it's already busy the evening before). It is very busy, but if you already have a hotel in Amsterdam, you can always go back there. And Queen's day is celebrated throughout The Netherlands.
If you really want to avoid it, perhaps do a daytrip to Antwerp by train.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 07:26 AM

I remember transportation being spotty around the Palace as I was staying next door.

If you truly want to avoid Queen's Day, just don't be near the Palace or anywhere along the Damrak. Do walk around.

Since I ran off to Belgium on Queens Day due to scheduling issues, I've found myself wanting to go back around Queens Day again, but will have to wait until 2008 since I already have something planned for 2007 around that day (also a few days before my bday!).
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Queen's Day 2001 - i was heading to the airport around noon and took a walk around town to see just what all this was - and it was astounding - kicked myself for poor planning, having to leave on Queens Day - i got on the train to Schiphol at Centraal Station and we stood there several minutes - i watched trains come in that were unfathomably packed - how could so many folks keep getting off? And many were carrying cases of Heineken beer!
Anyway my train took off but later i heard that all trains into and out of Centraal Station were suspended just after mine took off - so the train system does shut down, at least at Amsterdam C.S.
In subsequent years i've seen bulletins saying Thalys trains on Queens Day were originating and terminating at Schiphol - so getting out of Amsterdam C.S. on Queen Day could be hypothetical.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Bob; that was the notorious year when the entire railway system more or less broke down; they couldn't handle the number of people coming into Amsterdam. I think the Dutch railways learned from that, and they use more trains now. It is possible that the Thalys doesn no go to Amsterdam central that day. The regular trains certainly will.

If you have a hotel in Amsterdam, I would not flee the city on that day; it's not a wild party, it's also for families. There are lots of children around too. Wear something orange, and you will make some friends!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Tulips - ditto to how GREAT Queens Day is and i pity the traveler who would avoid it - yes a cool atmosphere, not intimidating at all.

But if in retrospect i had to get a train to the airport like i did in 2001 i'd go early in the morning.

And 2001 was notorious - the crowding at Amsterdam C.S. where in my opinion very dangerous - it was so crowded getting down the stairs it seemed some kind of stampede would ensue.

I was sitting in my stalled airport train taking videos of it all - the sea of Orange and green (Heineken cases) surges toward the exits and an unfathomable number of largely young folks impossibly get getting off the trains.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I'm not sure what I will do. It does sound exciting, but at the same time I dislike crowds, loud noise, and rowdiness. I think much will depend on the weather as to what I will want to do. Do the people stay away if it's a rainy day?
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM

The last sentence: No - may diminish but not much. In 2001 the crowd, though immense, was very orderly. It sprawls over the whole city - there were boats with jazz bands on the canals, concerts at Museumplein for younger types and a huge flea market - as i understand it it began as a big event when it was decided anyone could chalk out space on the sidewalks anywhere in the town centre and sell whatever they want on this day only. Yes the world's largest flea market.

I do sympathize with you and your dislike of crowding. I went to the Nottinghill Carnival in London recently and the crowding there, in a dense area, was suffocating and i had trouble even getting out of the congestion. But this is not at all like that - you could easily escape the hubbub simply enough - i think you may enjoy it immensely - or at least try it and then head to train station where, as Tulips says, trains will be able to whisk you to a nearby town like Haarlem or Alkmaar where festivites are a lot more subdued - especially since everyone seems to flock to Amsterdam.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:19 PM

My wife and I really enjoyed Queen's BD a few years ago. Heard lots of free jazz, wandered all over, Damrak from Central Station to Dam was chock full of people (no trolleys, many families). I believe the museums were closed. We saw no signs of rowdiness and were standing with a group of hell's angels motorcyclists on the side of a canal watching a boat equipped with a dance floor on the other side.

An experience we would hate to have missed.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I'm going to stay in Amsterdam for the day and will report back for all to read.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:27 PM

My favorite location for Queen's Day is in front of the Hoppe bar at the Spui. This is the greatest street party I've ever been part of, several times. I hope to make it over to Amsterdam to enjoy it again this year.

As I recall the trains were shut down on Queen's Day several years ago for public safety because tipsy people were falling onto the tracks at Centraal Station. That was a particularly warm day and the crowds were huge. If it is cool and drizzly there will not be so many people in Amsterdam.

The biggest problem on Queen's Day is finding a place to pee, especially if you are a woman. The city sets up porta-pee-pots for the men all over the city. The downstairs (steep) men's room at the Cafe Luxembourg was available for women to use the stalls while the men used the urinals. The Hoppe does not have a ladies room. Women go through a door behind the bar to the adjacent cafe.

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 01:48 PM

Queens Day is not to be missed! My husband and I had a blast. This is a way to really experience being in Holland! Don't forget your Orange blowup crown...