Quality Hungarian souvenirs?

Old May 5th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality Hungarian souvenirs?

We'll be in Prague, Budapest and Vienna this month and would like to find some quality souvenirs for gifts and mementos of our trip. I've already located a couple old posts on Austria and Prague but nothing on Budapest (or Hungary). If there are reputable handicrafts stores, I'd be interested in having that information as well. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:33 AM

Will you be visiting Herend? Herend porcelain/pottery is world wide know and very pretty, perhaps you can pick something up in Buduapest if you aren't going there. Tokay wine, a bit on the sweet side, is usually served for dessert, but is very nice and special to Hungary. Hope that helps.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:54 AM

I remember seeing some handicraft shops in Prague on what they call the Golden Lane-not far from St Vitus Church. Have a great trip.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Paprika, of course ! We stayed in Buda at the Hilton and only went once to Pest. At the top of Buda there are lots of antique shops, a flea market, and a weekly market selling handicrafts. My daughter bought a gorgeous traditional costume in a shop next to the famous bakery there. Forget the name. Anyway, have fun !
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM

I was going to recommend paprika as well. You get it in small little porcelain (or similar) containers with a tiny little wooden scoop. Sometimes the container or the scoop or both are hand-painted. They come in a variety of sizes but the tiny/mini ones make for useful souvenirs or presents and they're easy to pack and don't take much space. I buy them each time I visit, and now have past recipients asking for refills. The paprika inside is usually pretty good.

Another favourite is a 'Magic box'. This is a hand made wooden box (usually with decorative carvings) with secret hidden compartments that you have to discover how to open, to get at the key hidden in the last compartment and which you can her rattling around but cannot get to until the end. They're quite ingenious and fun. Can usually find them in souvenir shops or street carts at the Citadel, where I bought mine.