Shopping in Capetown

Jun 20th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Justin

Shopping in Capetown

I am visiting Capetown in July for a few days and wondered if anyone can tell me what I can expect to find for sale that is worth buying. Any suggestions for particular shops or areas for shopping would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 20th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Joe

What are you interested in buying? where are you coming from? There are many wonderful african curio type things, crafts, art. art at the markets or at the may galleries. the waterfront has a good cross section of shops. (I guess you are not from the US as you would have said stores!) There is a good market at Hout Bay on a Sunday. Most of the other markets are during the summer I think. Stellenbosch has some wonderful art and pottery galleries - there is also a great place in Paarl. Wire art is big. When I visit I do not usually shop for clothes but I believe men's suits can be pretty reasonable. Woolworths quality is usually very good. I am sure Century city and Cavendish square are also worth a visit.

Jun 24th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Justin

Thanks Joe. I actually am from the US! Not sure what we would be looking for, but pottery, art and crafts/jewelry are probably all things we would look for.

Jun 24th, 2002, 09:12 AM
evelyntrav

I was somewhat disappointed in the craft shopping in Cape Town. The only shop which seemed to have authentic rather than tourist-type items was the African Image in the mall, but the items were so expensive that we did not buy anything there. I don't think there was anything below $1500 USD, but the items were wonderful. The other shops tend to carry the same stuff at the same cost and much of it can be found in the US in places like Pier 1. A unique place to look around was the Pan African Market which is 3-4 floors of thousands of curios and is located in the city, probably on Long Street. I'm not really recommending it, but if you like to shop you might enjoy it. It confused me? The only other two shops that I enjoyed walking through were in the Clocktower building (where there is internet access if you are interested) and African Port which is near the pedestrian bridge to get to the ClockTower from the wharf area. I hope you find something wonderful.

Jun 24th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Joe

If you are interested in quality individually designed jewellery there is a jeweller who has a store at the Waterfront. His work is fabulous! My wife had a diamond pendant designed which is unique and top quality stone and for less money than in USA. Remember you can claim all VAT back with receipts. A few years back I saw wonderful pottery - large pieces - at a market and was concerned how I would get it back home - it looked like leather from a distance. The studio is in Stellenbosch. If you would like specific names I would be glad to email you directly. In the red shed at the waterfront you can buy items from key ring holders to tables made out of old railway sleepers. I have always found things relatively inexpensive with the exchange rate.

Jul 18th, 2002, 10:07 PM
jill

justin, where did you shop and for what? how was your trip?

Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:09 AM
justin

Jill,

Trip was amazing...see the botswana forum for details. Shopped for African art and crafts in Cape Town. Mostly stuck around the Green Market Square area. Found the shops at the waterfront to be tourist traps and way overpriced. GMS wasn't much better, but at least you can bargain. Despite the strength of the dollar things are expensive - I have a theory about price fixing among merchants. I ended up buying most things (masks, statues, necklaces, etc) at a place called Pan African Market, which is on Long Street I think. They have 3-4 floors full of individual merchants. A great art gallery is Peanuts on Church street.

Search this Thread