Petticoat Lane and Spitalfields Market

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
WLS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petticoat Lane and Spitalfields Market

Is it possible to visit either of these markets during the week? I understand that the weekends are better but we will not be in London over a weekend. Various guide books give week day hours but I can only find comments from weekend visitors.
Just looking for a fun, quirky, and culturally unique shopping experience as a break from historic buildings and museums.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM

I don't know about the non-weekend visits, but we all visited (and enjoyed) Spitalfield's last summer....and two of our group also went to Petticoat Lane the same day and thought it was "nothing". Just a head's up.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM

I walked around Petticoat Lane in 2002 and wasn't impressed. Lots of t-shirts, purses, imitation jewelry, etc. the same kind of stuff you can find at most fairs and festivals in the US. The person I was with did buy a leather coat that she said was a good buy. The leather shops are permanent and open during the week. Otherwise, I don't think its culturally unique in any way.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
yk

I visited Spitalfields on a Sunday and thought it was a waste of my time. But then, I wasn't interesting in buying used or grungy clothing among the stalls. Looks more like a flea market to me.

There are also permanent shops and restaurants at Spitalfields which should open every day.

More interesting architecturally speaking, would be Leadenhall Market, not far from Spitalfields. It is a Victorian-era market which I think is beautiful.

A couple of pics of Leadenhall Market I took last year:
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/IMG_2609.jpg
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/IMG_2612.jpg
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 07:59 AM
WLS
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Yk: I love the pics. What a beautiful building. I will check it out. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Borough Market is well worth a visit too- just across the street from London Bridge station.
Spitalfields is an interesting area to wander around even if the market isn't operating!
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Borough Market is my favourite... simple for the assortment of food available. You'll enjoy all the free tasting samples A good way to decide on what to have
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 02:57 AM

Petticoat Lane is a simple market selling clothes and household goods to the local population. You probably have at least as good at home.

Spitalfields is mainly spendy food and is quite enjoyable. Despite the name, Leadenhall Market (which features in several Harry Potter films) is really shops.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 02:58 AM

Spitalfields is busiest on Sundays, but not totally shut at other times:
http://www.visitspitalfields.com/
http://spitalfieldslife.com/category/shelf-life/

Spitalfields has mixed arty clothes, antiques and bits and bobs. There are also more alternative craft and clothes stalls in a warehouse building on the corner of Hanbury St and Brick Lane, which is also worth a visit (top end of Brick Lane is also a cheapo general market, if you want to bulk-buy bankrupt stocks and bikes of dubious provenance). Petticoat Lane is just a general market on Sundays only, mostly downmarket cheap clothes, accessories, luggage.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:53 AM

I have become increasingly intrigued by the culture and history of Spitalfields by reading the compulsively fascinating www.spitalfieldslife.com - extraordinary well-written stories and beautiful lush photography.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
topgadfly: Any chance you are 'gentle author'????
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Much as I love London, it's markets are definitely a let down except for Borough Market. I've sometimes seen Jamie Oliver there picking up supplies.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 03:43 AM

We don't shop in the middle.

Try Deptford (supposedly the best around), or Green St, or Southall, or Walfamstow....