pylos or methoni

May 20th, 2002, 09:02 AM
julie

pylos or methoni

has anyone stayed in Pylos or methoni or that area? Any nice hotel recommendations, preferably with air condtioning?
Thanks!

May 20th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Grandma

Am not familiar with Pylos but we stayed in Methoni in "96. Don't recall the hotel; we were just driving w/o reservations and picked up something on the square. BUT..... we had the BEST meal of our entire three week trip(which included cruise of Cyclades - sp?)in Methoni. If the restuarant is still there, it will not be hard to find!

May 20th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Grandma

Whoops.... the little gray cells are fading..... As I recall there is an Amalia hotel outside Methoni. Probably your best bet unless there have been new developments over the last six years.

May 21st, 2002, 09:35 PM
Vera

Your note sent me on a memory trip to the lovely room we had nine years ago in Pilos with a room overhanging the water. Falling asleep to the sound of the waves. Looking out at a beautiful bay. Eating breakfast on the balcony. Sigh!
I had to look it up, and came up with this site which even has a picture:

http://www.dilosfn.com/hotels/karalisbeach_pilos.html

We also enjoyed our meal at O Grigaris Restaurant--but nine years is a long time in restaurant life, so I don't know if it is still good. It had great views of the bay.
Haven't been to Methoni, but have been told I should go.
Vera

May 22nd, 2002, 10:36 AM
julie

Dear Vera:

Thank you for the response. The Karalis Beach and Karalis Hotel are ones that I have been considering, so appreciate the recommendation. Did you drive there from Nauplion, by chance? If so, how long did it take?
Julie

May 23rd, 2002, 05:01 AM
Vera

We did drive from Nauplion--in a roundabout way. To Sparta and Mistras, down through Kalamata and then over. I don't remember any overnights in between, but I'd have to consult my trip notes (which are buried in a closet) to say for sure how long it took.
We had our copy of Thucydides with us and read about the battle between the Spartans and Athenians that took place in the Pilos bay as we sat looking at the scene.
Enjoy.
Vera